Looks like I am going with Cingular this week, any phone recomendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Dec 27, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I would like a flip, with cam and internet capability, and of course good reception, any recomendations? I don't want to end up buying one cause it looks cool and I find out it has the shittiest reception :o

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

v551 is ok but i'd recommend the nokia 6230

3. StealthMode

It's nice, but a little out of my price range.

Well, I think I am just going to get one of the entry level phones with the plan, and later on I can upgrade my phone if I need or want to.

I'm looking at these two, the Samsung X427M, and the Motorola V180, the Sammy has the data conenct, but 2 hours less talk time.. Which would be the better phone?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  4. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Buy what you want the first time. You have to wait 21 months to get that good of a deal again. You get price breaks when you sign a contract. And no, you can't sign another 2yr until you're in one for 21 months. You can upgrade 6 months into a 2yr contract, but you pay the 1yr price with a 2yr contract.

The shit list:
    LG C1300 - Worst phone ever produced. I'm not sure why we still sell it
    LG L1400 - You'll take it back within 2 weeks with a big purple line across the camera screen
    Siemens (any of them that i've ever tried) - 2nd worst reception, next to the c1300.
    Nokia 6010 - I love nokia, but poor reception and the keys just seem to pop off for no reason :ugh:
    Moto v3 Razr - really....$500 for this thing? :ugh: Total waste of money. I use one as my work phone. already replaced it twice

The not-so-bad list:
    Samsung - not too bad, great reception. Bad screens (they always die)
    Moto v551 and 400 - Decent phones. Don't understand the hype about them. Decent but have the famous moto bugged up software
    Sony t237 - Not a bad little phone. Ugly, and terrible ring tones, but decent quality and has speakerphone

the best
    Nokia 6230 - hands down the best as far as a regular phone goes. GREAT camera, good reception, bluetooth, video recording with sound, expandable memory card (MMC, up to 1 gig), MP3 player, fm radio :bowdown: I love mine
    Nokia 6620 - Great phone, terrible size. Series 60 so there is a ton of apps for it
    Sony T637 - good stlye, good reception, decent (not that great) camera, bluetooth, good price
    Sony Z500 - haven't had one complaint yet on them. nice flip, very ugly IMO
    V180/V220 - Good phones, be careful of the outside caller ID display. Breaks kind of easy. Good reception, so/so on battery life
    MPX220 - Lots of bad things said about this, but the new firmware has solved most of it. I use one and really really like it so far. only had it about 3 days and have yet to have one issue with it (knock on wood)

Those are my opinions based on what I sell and see in an average day. If there is one thing you take from this post, please let it be to avoid LG like the plague.

let me know if you have any other questions

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've had several sonys, and they are easily the WORST crap I've ever used.

All of the nokias I've used have been great. Not the best quality, but very reliable, cheap, and good reception.

The best I've ever had was my siemens. No complaints on signal (although I think my current nokia 6800 is the all-time best on reception) and the siemens is RUGGED and doesn't die.

6. StealthMode

Thanks! I'm thinking of going the cheaper route and just getting Moto V180.
    Is there a way to connect it to a laptop by chance to connect to the internet? It would be kind of handy if I was on the road and needed to get directions off mapquest or something like that.

Edit: After looking again, it looks like I might as well get the V220 if I want the data connect, then I also have a cam :hs: woohoo.. :o But it's a little lower in the batter life... doh! hmm, too bad it didn't look like the 180, that phone looks purdier :hs:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  7. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

yeah, go with the 220 if you want to use it for internet. Or the 551. The 551 has EDGE so you can surf a little faster if you're in an EDGE area

8. StealthMode

Well, I am just going to get the Nokia 3120 tonight, and try it out for awhile, if I can afford to, I will get V551 or something before my month is up. I played around with the Nokia 3120, and I like it alot, plus it's cheaper for me.. For some reason the V220 and V180 are $80 up front, where as the nokia is only like $40... I'm just gonna get the Nokia.

Is there anyway to connect it to my laptop so I can connect to the web through my phone?

9. StealthMode

Alright, got my plan and my new phone, I am really liking the Nokia 3120 that I got :coold: Gonna try it out for a few weeks, and if I have the money, I might upgrade exchange it for the 6620. :big grin:

10. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

:werd: It has more features(plays mp3's/radio) and it's easier to use. But, it's not a clamshell u prefer.

11. imhipyournot

imhipyournot LPC id: 34280

if money isnt an issue and you dont plan on buying one from cingular itself, i'd go with the new Nokia 7270 its a nice flip phone.

12. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

I like my v710 I picked up the other day. The Kiosk I bought it from screwed up and charged me 150 for it!!!! :)

Not a cingular, but still if they offer out the v710 I'd recommend it.