MMA Looks like chuck-wand may happen at ufc79 after all...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Oct 10, 2007.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

UFC 78 and UFC 79 Fight Updates

Posted by MMA Junkie on October 9, 2007 at 9:41 pm ET
    [​IMG]We have a handful of updates and rumors for the upcoming UFC 78 and UFC 79 fight cards — all of which can be found below.
    UFC 78 takes place Nov. 17 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and UFC 79 takes place Dec. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nev. The pay-per-view events feature a headline bout between Rashad Evans and Michael Bisping (UFC 78), and a title fight between welterweight champ Matt Serra and former champ Matt Hughes (UFC 79).
    Other event happenings include:
    * UFC President Dana White had made it very clear that he intended for former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell to have his long-awaited fight with PRIDE standout Wanderlei Silva on Dec. 29 at UFC 79. However, the plan seemed to fizzle after Liddell suffered a split-decision loss to Keith Jardine last month at UFC 76. The loss prompted White to say that the fight was “just not meant to happen.” However, according to John Hackleman, Liddell’s trainer, he expects the fight to take place anyway. As Hackleman told fighthype.com, “Looks like the Wanderlei fight is going to happen (in) December.” Fight fans have clamored for the fight for years, even though both light heavyweights are coming off back-to-back losses.
    * A rumored fight between UFC heavyweights Fabricio Werdum and Frank Mir appears unlikely. Werdum apparently mentioned the fight during a recent interview for a Portuguese-based website. MMAjunkie.com today heard from Dean Albrecht, Mir’s publicity and marketing manager, who said there’s “no validity” to the rumors. Mir is coming off an impressive first-round submission of Antoni Hardonk in August. Werdum, though, hasn’t competed since a heavily criticized decision loss to Andrei Arlovski in April. His status with the UFC remains somewhat of a mystery.
    * A welterweight bout between Tony DeSouza (10-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Roan Carneiro (11-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC) has been booked for UFC 79, reports The Fight Network. DeSouza, who served as an assistant coach on “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” has competed during two different stints with the UFC. He went 2-1 in 2001, and then 1-1 (with a win over Dustin Hazelett) in 2006. The UFC 79 fight will be his first in a full year. Carneiro, on the other hand, has fought twice in 2007: a decision victory over Rich Clementi in April and a submission-loss to Jon Fitch in June.
    * Josh Koscheck, a one-time rumored part of the UFC 79 fight card, probably won’t compete again until early 2008. MMAjunkie.com heard from the UFC welterweight and “The Ultimate Fighter 1” cast member today. Koscheck, who suffered a unanimous-decision loss to former champ Georges St. Pierre in August, has been busy training at the American Kickboxing Academy and working on his new business venture, MAR Clothing. With UFC 79 out of the picture, Koscheck will likely return to the octagon in January or February.
    * Current UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk, who failed a UFC 73 drug test due to traces of Nandrolone (an anabolic steroid) and elevated testosterone levels, will have his appeal hearing heard by the California State Athletic Commission on Oct. 31. If the champ is stripped of the title, B.J. Penn and Joe Stevenson are expected to fight for the vacant title, possibly at UFC 79. However, MMAjunkie.com is told — by more than one reliable source — that the Dec. 29 date is not a definite. We’re told the UFC is working on a number of possible contingency plans that involve other dates and even the possibility of other fighters.

2. Kuet

Kuet New Member

didnt mach sign with the ufc?? where the fuck is he i wanna see him already.

3. damiand

damiand Proceed

As much as I do, I dont. He has always had trouble making weight, and he would be doomed being forced to cut in the UFC.

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

if he does, he'd fight at 170 for sure

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I heard he never signed and went to K1

6. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I was kinda hoping they would just give wandy a shot at jackson right away given their past (no need to get into the marketability argument, we've been over it a million times). I would not want to see either of these guys have a 3rd loss in a row.

7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Wandy, unlike the other Pride fighters has UFC experience and is showing it by him training and Vegas. He's going to wreck shit.

8. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

if wand loses then his 3 losses are to:
    crocop
    hendo
    chuck

So, big deal he lost to three of the biggest names mma has ever seen.

if chuck loses then its:
    rampage
    jardine :rolleyes:
    wand

thats not so bad either.

after one of them loses this fight they should get some total can to create a highlight reel. loser gets jesse forbes. :x:

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

No, K1

10. I only now realized how impressive it was that Desouza actually subbed hazlett. I didn't know who Dustin was at the time of the fight, so I assumed he was just some junk redneck fighter, because that's how bad he looked vs. Tony

11. Kuet

Kuet New Member

FUCK. This is for sure?
    i wanted to see him fight in the WW division.....there woulda been some great matchups....i have been waiting for months to hear of his upcoming fight in the ufc. blahhh

12. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

wtf...they showed him during a UFC ppv :eek3:

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

They show quite a few non UFC fighters on pay per views.

sucks, but thats what i've heard, K1.

14. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

That is what makes this fight more exciting.