A&P looking to trade and want opinions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Mar 29, 2010.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I have a 70-200 f4 IS and have been thinking in the past about trading it for the f2.8. I had the 2.8 IS lens already and sold it to buy my current lens. I am very happy with my lens now but there ahve been times indoors in gyms where the extra stop would ahve been nice, or outdoors when the extra stop could have provided some better bokeh.

does OTAP think this is a good trade or no? The f2.8 does not have IS but the majority of my pics that are at 200mm have been outdoors with a very high shutter speed anyway since soccer games are generally in full sun

2. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

there will always be something missing..

now its the extra stop, then it'll be the IS that could've gotten you that shot.

just save up and get the best of the best.

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I had the f2.8 IS. I sold it for my current lens, which is sharper.

so in a way you are right - always chasing something.

4. nine

nine OT Supporter

2.8 IS mk II

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

6. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

is the mkII a lot better than the mk1?

7. nine

nine OT Supporter

8. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I have been using my 70-200 f4 IS with the IS turned off to see how much I might really miss it. It seems to be a point where there is a trade off between having teh extra stop of light vs having to use a faster shutter to prevent shake.

So it seems that the F4 IS might be better than the 2.8 non IS indoors because of the gain in slower shutter with teh IS on vs teh 1 stop of the 2. However, the subject isolation is obviously better on the 2.8.

Now for indoor sports like cheerleading competitions, you would never need the extra 3 stops of the shutter because you need it to be faster like up around 1/250th at least to freeze motion on the gym so in that regard, the extra stop will benefit me over the IS. Since this is mostly what I use teh lens for. Actually I cant not think of any instances that I have need to have the shutter so slow that camera shake might have been a problem.