Looking to Swap my 10-bolt for a 14-bolt in my 2001 Silverado.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by yer mom, Mar 15, 2004.

1. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

Anyone know anything about this process? I figured i could get a used 14-bolt from a NBS 2500, and hopefully it would be a simple bolt in installation. What do you guys know about this process... Any info would be appreciated. :)

2. threecar

threecar Guest

I have done it several times, but not in the newer trucks. the only issue that I can think of that could be different, is possibly connections for the ABS. the driveshaft will need to be shortened a little unless the truck is lifted(14bolt full floater). you will need the spring plates and u-bolts from the 14 bolt, because the axle tubes are larger. the shocks and brake lines should hook up fine. be sure you get the correct ratio if its a 4x4.aside from that, it should be easy.

If your talking about a 14 bolt ff, you will obviously need new wheels, or adapters, and have the hubs turned down by a machine shop.

3. threecar

threecar Guest

4. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

apparently the info im getting from fullsizechevy.com is that it would be best for me to get an OBS 14-bolt and weld up new spring perches. then do a rear brake swap to disc.

:dunno:

5. threecar

threecar Guest

why?

if it were my truck, i would get a rear that will bolt in. sure it will cost a little more, but it will be the correct width, probably have less mileage than an older rear, and will for the most part bolt right up. I could be wrong, but dont the 2001 3/4 and 1 tons have disc rears like the 1/2 tons do?

Find a rear at a wrecking yard for your body style, and things will go smooth. you dont want to booger up a truck that new.

6. CraneTruk

CraneTruk Guest

Whats the reason for the swap?

7. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

10-bolt thats in there now is a POS. I already got it replaced once thru warranty, and now that I dont have that anymore, i have some plans for the truck.

Adding a 6-inch suspension lift and 35s. the 10-bolt will NOT be able to handle those size tires and the abuse im gonna be putting it thru. Besides, its already starting to make some noises... AGAIN. :rant2:

8. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

yeah... now im getting some new info. apparently one guy has a 14bolt full floater from an 02 3/4 ton truck, and all the measurements hes taken seems to be a direct bolt in. Now i just have to swap the rear to 6-lug and the u-joint. not too bad :hs:

and yes, all 99+ trucks have disc rear, regardless of the size.

9. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

yeah, well... it has 3.73s now stock. i havent done the lift yet or anything, and i know im going to have to upgrade, im looking at 4.56s for gears, maybe 4.10s, but probably the 4.56s in case i go with a bigger tire.

i guess ill hold off on the swap and build up the 10-bolt for now. toss some gears and a locker in there or something. :dunno:

10. threecar

threecar Guest

10 bolts and 35"+ tires dont play well together, and thats a fact. it might work for your mall cruiser, but if you play off road even mildly, certain death.

11. Juice

Juice New Member

yea theres no way!
    as for the swap, go to a junkyard, find a 14bolt since they are probably everywhere, unbolt the 10 bolt and throw the other one on.. yea, the springs perches will need to be moved around etc, but u could do it easily in a day
    good luck