GUN Looking to start shooting: Have some ?'s

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 3x, Jan 1, 2008.

1. 3x

3x New Member

Hey, well I don't have much background in shooting, besides my father taking me hunting a couple times. I'm interested in learning how to shoot properly, taking account of windage and humidity and whatnot. To be honest, I don't know much at all. I have a few questions:

1. I know I want to start off with something small caliber, and I was looking at a couple rimfire rifles. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the Ruger 10/22, but wanted some personal experiences about them.

2. Are there any good online articles I should read up on? Whether they be about introduction to shooting, different types of rifles, etc, it would all be helpful to me.

3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of rimfire vs. centerfire? From what I've seen, one of the differences is that one is bolt action, and the other is semi-automatic. From what I remember, bolt action is more accurate, but I'm not too sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 3x

3x New Member

Random Question: What is the advantage to replacing a barrel with the "thicker" ones that I see, which typically, are shorter than stock.

Example of what I'm talking about: http://blogphotohost.com/pic.php?id=d4adeF45Z0354Z84c9G76e76S19c2759

Credit to the owner of the gun, who's name I don't remember, but he posted in the pic thread.

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

If you want to learn to shoot taking account for variables like wind and humidity...youre talking about long distance shooting. A small round will be way too tricky and inaccurate to shoot long distance. Youre probably looking at a .223 / .308 rifle (more popular / inexpensive)

A 10/22 is a GREAT rifle...but you arent going to be shooting more than 100 yards with it. ANything under though, it can be a tack driver :big grin: The mods are endless too.

Forums like http://www.snipershide.com/ are great places to read up on long distance shooting.

Rimfires will be smaller calibers, because of their design, you just cant make a big cartridge out of them. There is no difference in the type of action. There are semi-auto centerfires as well as rimfires...as with bolt actions. Centerfires, by design, allows for a bigger round.

Ive read arguments that bolt actions are more accurate because the action doesnt move after the shot is fired. :dunno:

The "thicker" barrels are bull barrels. They are barrels with more mass. They are much heavier than sportier barrels. Because they have more mass, they dissipate heat better than barrels with less mass. This leads to less warping and greater accuracy. :dunno:

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

4. 3x

3x New Member

Will (If that is your name), you've been very helpful. I sent you another PM in your box with a couple questions pertaining to your rifle. If you could get back to me, that would be great.

Anybody else have any input?

Edit: Also, would anybody else recommend a website other than cheaperthandirt.com for aftermarket rifle accessories and ammo?

And what are the differences between .22L, .22LR, and .22M? I know what they stand for, and have a general idea of the differences, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  5. 3x

3x New Member

Ah, so many questions. I'm pretty sure this has to be annoying some of you guys.

Will, or anybody in the Bay Area, what is a good store to go check out/handle some rifles? I know of that store down on East 14th in San Leandro, which I can't remember the name of for some reason.

6. DarkalaOkiela

DarkalaOkiela THERE IS NO TIME!

Nah its not annoying, we are all nice in the WMD forum =]

So maybe once you have something like a 10/22 and you go to the range with it you will meet people there with interests in even longer distance shooting and they will show you what you want to know. My experiences at the range are usually such that i learn something from someone else by the time i leave, everyone is cool there because they all like shooting.

7. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

http://midwayusa.com has a HUGE selection.
    http://shootforless.com has accessories and offers a nice OT discount :big grin:

Those are all different .22 rounds. .22 Long, .22 Long rifle, .22 magnum (I think).

Traders on E14th had their FFL license taken away :o They no longer have firearms. But there are plenty of places in the South Bay. Reeds or Target Masters probably has the bigger selection. Although they probably has the average big chain type customer service. I would advise going to smaller shops if you want to chat with the workers.

8. 3x

3x New Member

Oh yeah, I heard something about that. (Referring to Trader's)

I may stop by one of those shops you recommended. Also, I was wondering more about the differences between those types of rounds. I've noticed that the magnum round has a larger casing?

And yeah, I may stop by a range just to check it out. Thanks for all your guys' help so far.

9. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

[​IMG]

Short vs. Long Rifle
    [​IMG]

.22 Mag
    Bullet diameter .224 in (5.7 mm)
    Neck diameter .240 in (6.1 mm)
    Base diameter .241 in (6.1 mm)
    Rim diameter .291 in (7.4 mm)
    Rim thickness .046 in (1.2 mm)
    Case length 1.052 in (26.7 mm)
    Overall length 1.35 in (34 mm)

.22LR
    Bullet diameter .223 in (5.7 mm)
    Neck diameter .225 in (5.7 mm)
    Base diameter .275 in (7.0 mm)
    Rim diameter .275 in (7.0 mm)
    Rim thickness .040 in (1.0 mm)
    Case length .590 in (15.0 mm)
    Overall length .985 in (25.0 mm)

.22L
    Neck diameter .224 in (5.7 mm)
    Base diameter .225 in (5.7 mm)
    Rim diameter .272 in (6.9 mm)
    Rim thickness .042 in (1.1 mm)
    Case length .415 in (10.5 mm)
    Overall length .798 in (20.3 mm)

.22S
    Neck diameter .224 in (5.7 mm)
    Base diameter .225 in (5.7 mm)
    Rim diameter .273 in (6.9 mm)
    Rim thickness .040 in (1.0 mm)
    Case length .423 in (10.7 mm)
    Overall length .686 in (17.4 mm)

10. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

it'd probably be worth considering picking up a 10/22 or other cheap 22 rifle to get lots of practice with before trying to step up to something bigger.

If you can't shoot extremely well at 100 yards, you certainly won't be able to at 500 yards.

11. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

.22WMR (aka ".22 magnum") is stupidly expensive relative to .22LR. I wouldn't recommend it for starting out. .22LR used to be the "one cent munition," but with inflation and the jumps in raw materials pricing, it's getting closer to 2-5 cents per round for lower-end stuff. If you're just getting into firearms, an inexpensive .22LR rifle (or pistol) will be relatively inexpensive to operate and cheap to feed (as opposed to 9mm @ ~$0.16/rd, .223 @ ~$0.45/rd, and .308 @ ~$1/rd).

The 10/22 is typically seen as a good platform, not always loved out-of-the-box. Mine has some lingering issues (inconsistent extraction/feeding), but perhaps that will sort itself out after the first thousand rounds or so. It's decently accurate otherwise.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nothing wrong with .22lr. I'm looking at buying one to help keep range costs down.

That said, the first gun I owned was a 12ga shotty. And the first shells through it were 3" mag 00 buck. So I don't understand the "start small" mentality. Granted I had shot many firearms before owning one... But the first one I shot was a Para 1911 (45ACP, of course). So again, not really starting small.

13. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

the key to being a good shot is practice, and lots of it...

someone just getting into shooting is likely to practice A LOT more if each trip to the range is only $10 in ammo versus $100, etc... that's the main idea behind the start small mentality.

14. demusn79

demusn79 New Member

15. 3x

3x New Member

Thanks you guys. It seems like I'm headed in the right direction. I'm going to head to a shop/store this week to check out some options, I'll update with how it goes.

Edit: Also, what is a "blued" barrel, or "blue" barrel? It look spretty black to me.

16. 3x

3x New Member

Important question that I left out: What varieties of Ruger 10/22 are available for purchase, which one is recommended, and how much am I generally looking to spend on one new?

17. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Its the finish applied to the metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)

Depends on what exactly you want to do w/ it, if you plan on modding it by removing the barrel and stock, i would just go w/ the cheapest model available to you, if you want to leave it stock, pick the one that fits your plans best,

shorter barrel + synthetic stock = lighter weight,

longer barrel + wooden stock = target usage,

see what you like

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firea...riation=10/22%AE%20Rimfire&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

a cheap new 10/22 can probably be had between $170-$190, place near me at school sells a SS carbine for $180

18. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I was in your shoes about two months ago and I decided to buy a 10/22 on an impulse. It turned out to be my best impulse purchase ever because it's an absolute blast to shoot and the ammo is cheap as hell. 10/22s also make great starter guns because of their ease of disassembly and how easy it is to find parts. It'll help you learn what all the parts look like and what they do. Honestly, they're not incredibly accurate out of the box, but with a small investment they can be one of the most reliable tack drivers available.

And again, my personal recommendation is to get a semi automatic for a first gun. Having a manually operated bolt may be more accurate, but IMO they aren't as fun. :dunno:

Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

19. more off

more off Moderator

20. 3x

3x New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a Mini 14?

I'd love to have one, but don't have the kind of funds for what I assume to be a pretty pricey gun, since they're discontinued I think?

But yeah, thanks for the help. I plan on buying a synthetic stock and a shorter bull barrel for the rifle. I won't be shooting over 50 yards with it anyway; I just want to use it to get familiar with shooting.

edit: also, xpinchx, what stock/barrel do you have on your 10/22, specifically, how long is the barrel?

21. demusn79

demusn79 New Member

22. demusn79

demusn79 New Member

[​IMG]
    Top one Whistle Pig 18",Butler Creek stock,VQ internals,Bolt reworked and machined finish.
    Bottom one orig except new bbl and stock.

23. more off

more off Moderator

yup its a mini 14, they are not discontinued,

in fact ruger upgraded the mini 14 ranch rifle with better sights
    and a redesigned gas system to change how the rounds are ejected (it allows for a lower mounted scope with rings)

they also just came out with the mini 14 target rifle, which has a harmonic dampening system that allows u to tune your barrel for the type of ammo you are shooting.

you should be able to find a mini from 400-600 bux depending on condition, i reccomend a new model serial # starting with 580 or up.

i also have a butler creek folding stock i want to sell, 50bux :x:

24. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

It's a Hogue Overmold stock with .920 diameter barrel channel, and the barrel is a 20" Green Mountain bull barrel. Specifically, here are the same parts I ordered if you want to look up any specs.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...&prodID=HA22010&CFID=1527399&CFTOKEN=43121349
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...prodID=GQ901520&CFID=1527399&CFTOKEN=43121349

Oh yeah, and AR > Mini14 :p

25. 3x

3x New Member