MMA looking to start grappling, i have a problem though

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by infinite loop, Apr 9, 2007.

1. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

i've had several years of various training.. mainly JKD type stuff. i'm comfortable standing and using hands and feet, though i know absolutely nothing about groundwork.

i'm going to start looking at various classes in the next month or so. i've settled on BJJ, but i've got one problem. several years ago, i had two surgeries on my hand which have left me with permanent nerve damage. basically, i can't have any type of contact with the outside of my right hand (to the point where shaking hands is painful)

is there anything i can put on my hand to help against the nerves?

2. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

:eek3: You probably want to check with a doctor on that because if you're going to start BJJ with that type of condition, the pain will be unbearable because we use a lot of gripping with our hands.

3. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

that's going to be very difficult. off the top of my head i can't think of anything other than consult your doctor.

where there's a will there's a way, if jean jacque can kick ass with a half hand, you could certainly do it with a painful one.

4. infinite loop

ugh.

i've already checked with the doc, he basically told me to listen to my body. he also told me to prepare ahead of time for any situation where my hand may hurt (i.e. a party where i'll be shaking a lot of hands) and to wear a hand brace they molded for me in preparation.

that brace won't do a damn thing for the type of griping grapplers do.. must keep looking.

5. infinite loop

thanks for the replies guys. i'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet :)

i'm gonna pick up some tape tomorrow and see how it feels.. maybe tape up and go chop a solid object a few times and see how that feels.

do grappling schools allow heavy taping of the hands? i realize that would leave me at a huge disadvantage, but whatever, i just wanna learn SOMETHING to compliment my stand-up stuff.

6. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah I could see gi work being horribly painful, but then again you can easily get used to discomfort, and a lot of other stuff. people roll with no legs and shit.