Looking to start a new routine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lawrencel715, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

I just finished my 7th week of the bill starr 5x5 routine and looking for a change, since i'm getting pretty bored of doing the same exercises. anyone know a good transition routine i could get into? i'm mainly interested in a full body workout 3 times a week.

it might help if i put some stats (or not). i'm 5'8", 23 y.o., 160lbs, ~10-12% body fat. the following 1RM are estimates: bench 205lb, deadlift 290lbs, row 125lbs, back squat 210lbs.

i kind of want to throw some military presses, front squats, lunges, calf raises, and pull-ups into a routine, but i didn't want to deviate from bill starr's routine. i've already tried waterbury's full body routine, and wouldn't mind getting back into that if it weren't for the high reps later into the routine.

so i guess i'm looking for more of a bill starr routine with more variation in exercises.

2. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Everybody is different but if I were you I would stick on the Starr Routine until you reach 225+ Bench, 315+ Squat, and 315 DL. Then ditch it quick.

for now add some isolation stuff and blast away.

3. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

wouldn't adding exercises to the program eff it up a little? i assume that the program was built the way it was for a reason. yet, i don't like how rigid the program is. i would love to start doing front squats again, but i've been progressing on the back squats with the program for 7 weeks, so not sure if i should switch that. i also don't like how deadlift is only performed once a week.

for those who don't know the structure of the program, there's 3 days per week for the routine. 1st day involves 5x5 of squats, flat bench, and rows, and then 2 sets of hypers and 4 sets of situps. the 2nd day involves 4x5 of squats, incline bench, and deadlift, and then 3 sets of situps. the 3rd day involves 4x5, then 1x3, then 1x8 of squats, flat bench, and rows, and then 3 sets of dips, curls, and triceps.

so the 2nd day is pretty light. could i add pull-ups/chin-ups for this day? could i add calf raises on the 1st day?

i don't know if these additions would overwork the muscles.

4. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Nothing wrong with the bill starr 5x5, and with your numbers, I'd stick to that for now.

5. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

If you want to do some isolation crap then you should try the madcow by Bill Star:
    Bill Starrs the strongest shall survive- http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength...s/manrodt4.htm

Substitute the high pulls with DLs and Powercleans with Pendlay. Then Add Pull-Ups on wednesday with a 5x5 scheme either pyramiding the weight or jsut use straight weight on it, it all depends on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.