Looking to pick up a LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by irrompible, Sep 26, 2007.

1. irrompible

irrompible Member

I'm still using my old ass 17" CRT from years and years ago. I figured it's time to switch over to an LCD. What brand/model should I go with. I want to either get a 20" or 22" monitor.

I looked at a few the other day and it seems the colors are washed out (compared to a CRT) on most of them, really notice it with black. Is this a common problem?

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

you have to calibrate them properly. 90% of LCDs that I've seen out of the box look horrible and once calibrated they look very nice.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Cheap LCDs achieve a high contrast ratio by cranking up the backlighting (i.e. making white really really bright) instead of using high-quality liquid crystals that can block light more effectively (i.e. making black really really dark). That's what you were seeing.

A halfway-decent 24-bit LCD screen with a DVI video connection and a color profile installed in Windows will look fantastic compared to any CRT nowadays. (Color profiles tell Windows what colors the LCD is capable of showing, so it can make images look as accurate as possible.)

4. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

name of a program that calibrates

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows.

You load the screen's color profile into one of the tabs on the Advanced subsection of Display Properties, and then the screen shows the colors it can, or it performs some trick (I can't think of the name) to figure out what are the closest colors to what the image specifies that it can display properly, and shows them instead.

If the screen doesn't come with a color profile on the CD, don't buy it. But all the good ones do.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby