A&P Looking to make the switch from 30d to 1dmkii, focusing in low light comparison

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Jul 13, 2008.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Ok, here we go i want a 1d series body in a bad way selling all my lighting gear to get it. So im wondering if i am being smart about this.

I shoot event, kids sports, motorsports, red carpet, and "Gasp!" celebrities (i only do pap style work when they are in a vegas pool party or club, NEVER do i go into restaurants and homes looking for them; sorry had to put that out there since sooo many people hate people who takes pics of celebs)

Now recently i have had a problem with even my 40d locking on focus with lighting of iso1600 1/25 and f2.8. Its pretty low light. Will a 1d be able to handle it? Low contrast celebs walking into a pool cabana at night lets say.

My 40d got about 3 out of 20 keepers in AI servo (mind you the 30d couldnt focus at all), will the 1dmkii be that much better or am i imagining this and i should just upgrade to another 40d from my 30d.

Am i delusional or will the focus be that much better. I was using my recently sold sig 70-200 2.8 (which has never had problems focusing in low/decent light, if you say the lens it not even my friends with L's on XXds were have crazy problems)

Please let me know your impressions... Or should i save up for a mk3 in which i heard the AF is better than the mkii's

Tits? Mojito? Adam?

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I always like your vegas pool party shoots. They make my pants fit tighter. :cool:

3. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I cant personally speak for the MkII but I will say that I did, at one point, own both a 40D and a MkIII and the MkIII would consistently focus more reliably in low light than the 40D.

As a whole, my MkIII very rarely hunts for focus on anything unless Ive just got slow glass (f/4) in a dark environment.

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

yeah but i heard the mkiii af is better than the mkii :( i dunno if i want to put that much scrilla down yet, just bought a 50-150 and 120-300 2.8 :( 3k already spent this month.... All i can hope is that Brad and Angelina show up in Vegas sometime soon, then 2 mkiii's lol

5. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Everything Ive read about the MkII/MkIIN/MkIII is that the MkII focuses the worst out of all of them (remember though that "worst" doesnt mean its bad. Its just relative to the other bodies) and that the MkIIN is better in bright light than the MkIII while the MkIII is better in low light than the MkIIN.

Just what I hear. I cant personally attest to any of that since Ive only ever used a MkIII. One place I do remember reading that though was on Rob Galbraith's website.

6. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Ill make you a deal on a MkIII though :hs:

7. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

From my experience, I found the 1dmk2 to be the most accurate when it locked focus, the 5d was best in acquiring focus in low light, and the 40D was fastest in acquiring focus but most inaccurate. I hardly use AI-servo so I can't comment on that aspect. Hope that helps.

8. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

My 1D MKII in low light with AI Servo isn't great but it's better than my 20D and 5D. I can't compare to the 40D since I don't own one. I used AI servo at a Hooters bikini contest and got about 75% keeper rate.

9. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I have no real input here other than to say post those pics please!!!! Oh and get the MKIII cuz you know eventually your going to want it, so just get it over with!

10. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Most of the girls weren't that hot. The one that was... was a bit broly
    [​IMG]