MIL Looking to join the military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ameter, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

As in, the american military. Any idea how a foreigner would go about signing up?

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I think the only special requirement is that you have a green card, otherwise the requirements are the same as a US citizen.

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

im currently a Canadian citizen

I remember being told that enlisting is one way to get a green card, but I imagine I have to go through an agency or the embassy

Vital stats:

I'm white, male, age 24, 9th generation canadian
    no criminal record

4. eter

eter New Member

just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you join the Canadian army?

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

have you SEEN the state of our army?
    have you SEEN the way we treat our soldiers?
    have you SEEN our equipment?

I'd love to join the Canadian military, but I've had my fill of getting shit pay, shit on daily, and working with substandard, if not deadly, equipment.

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

It's easier to get US citizenship by serving in our military, but I'm pretty sure you have to have a green card before you can join.

7. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

well... i cant even get any info about it, so I don't know

as for the green card, probably wouldn't be too difficult

8. eter

eter New Member

As a matter of fact I have, have you ?

The canadian army DOES uses top of the line technology in many areas (signals being the first to come to mind). We do need more funding, and some areas need more help than others, but overall you should be proud of your military. You'll find that if you ask anyone who has worked with us in the past, they'll have nothing but praise for our professionalism and abilities in the field.

I like the way we're treated, soldiering is very well respected in this country.. as a matter of fact people like you are the only thing thats gets on my nerves... people who seem to ignore all the good the canadian army does in the world.

:rofl: ... first off, no one joins the military for the money. if you count your hours, no military in the world pays anything better than half the mininum wage. gtfo if thats what your after, wherever you end up wanting to sign. secondly, it just so happens the canadian army is one the best if not THE best paid army in the G8.

ive already covered the equipment, but yes, these things don't come from your neighborhood toys r' us... the equipment IS deadly. generally things like guns, bombs, etc, are meant to be :ugh:. if you consider the amount of deployments (training and operation) we've been on over the years and compare it to the amount of our own troops we've lost it might seem negligeable, but there IS risk invovled with nearly everything we do and again, if you're not willing to live with that, gtfo :rofl:

best of luck anyway in whatever you choose to do,

cheers.

9. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

first off, you've missed that i have immense pride in our troops and past achievements, and i find it horrid and disgusting how the goverment has treated the canadian military in the past few decades

secondly, i refer to snafus such as, the Sea Kings... or our subs which cant submerge, which leak, short out and catch fire, killing crewmembers
    or sending our soliders to desert theatres with jungle camoflage, or sending them over, and not signing the paperwork to send their guns over until the following monday?

10. eter

eter New Member

these problems you've mentionned are caracteristic of any army.. there were problems with the US deployment too, im sure.

sea kings: yeah.. they need to replaced and it should have been done a long time ago.however, as with many other militaries procurement is an incredibly slow process, it takes a very very long time to introduce anything new even once its been approved by the government.

subs : again because of the procurement process, they were sitting in a bay accumulating rust for years before we could get our hands on them.

yeah it still pisses the hell out of me too sometimes when I see things like this. however, its not representative of what our army is like. stop by the recruiting center or ask any friends you have that are in the military and you'll see most of them love their job and their army, however flawed it may be.

11. eter

eter New Member

12. Accord

Accord New Member

You need permanent residency status in the U.S. to be able to join any branch.