MIL Looking to join Army

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hud, May 11, 2005.

1. Hud

Hud Quit Cryin'

I am thinking of going into Rangers or Special Forces. Currently talking to a recruiter out here. Anyone here a Ranger? Anyone have any suggestions or questions I should ask?

2. Hud

Hud Quit Cryin'

I understand the amount of physical endurance these guys go thorough. I did not ask anyone whether or not they believe I can make it. I know you are just making an assumption of my physical capabilities due to me posting on an internet forum, but you really have no idea of how fit I am. I simply asked for people who have experience to give me their advice.

3. nerfball

nerfball New Member

You can go out for Rangers but you cannot directly apply to Delta for instance. It's by invite only; at least it was when I was in.

I spoke two languages, got a perfect score on my PT test and had never gotten anything less than expert on my weapons qualifications. (9mm, M-16, grenade) I was invited to an orientation for Delta while stationed in Germany. It required an additional 6 year enlistment.

4. Hud

Hud Quit Cryin'

For the first time in a decade they are recruiting civilians into the special forces. I think for about 2 years now.

5. nerfball

nerfball New Member

wow, didn't know that... I hope that does not diminish the quality of SF forces. I guess you either make it or not, it won't matter.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

A good link for getting into the Rangers: http://www.ehow.com/how_10846_become-army-ranger.html

Physical Fitness details for Rangers: http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/pftstandards.htm

Suggested physical training method: http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/armypft.htm

The Army Rangers have a requirement for candidates to score the following prior to attending Ranger School:
    • Pushups in 2:00
      • Minimum 49 in 2:00
      • Recommended 80+
    • Situps in 2:00
      • Minimum 59
      • Recommended 80+
    • Pullups
      • Minimum 6
      • Recommended 12+
    • 2 Mile run
      • Minimum 15:12
      • Recommended Sub 13:00
    • 5 Mile run
      • Minimum 40:00
      • Recommended 35:00
    • 16 mile hike w / 65lb pack
      • Minimum 5 hours 20 minutes
      • Recommended 4-5 hours
    • 15m swim with gear
      • Pass/Fail

8. nerfball

nerfball New Member

yes, but Delta is still considered a special operations unit and at the time I was in the Army they recruited similarly to SF units. You could not just enlist to be in the Green Berets for instance.

Am i wrong?

9. nerfball

nerfball New Member

crap! I wish they had that when I enlisted. I tried to get my CO to send me to airborne school... :rofl: he was like, "sorry, we don't need airborne tankers." The best I could do was get them to send me to Air Assault with the Cav. scouts.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

Those requirements aren't very far off from the regular USMC PFT requirements. I believe you need a ~235 out of 300 on the PFT for it to be considered tier 1 and with all of those requirements you would just be hovering right around the 235 mark.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

Anyone that walks into a recruiters office off the street can get an airborne contract nowadays, the 82nd isn't as prestigious as it used to be. I even think women can get airborne contracts too now :noes:.

12. Ranger-AO

You still have to make it through AIT though.

13. Accord

Accord New Member

I've heard stories of recruits who go into boot camp only being able to do 1 pullup and then by the time they graduate they're able to do 15-20. Are these types of stories actually true?

14. Ranger-AO

bah! any SF/Ranger/SpecOps/whatever that makes it through the course gets my :bowdown: any day.

15. nerfball

nerfball New Member

that might make sense, I served from '90 to '94, that would lie within the window you describe.

16. Accord

Accord New Member

I wish I could do that many, I can only do like 3 right now and 4 when I really push myself. I'm doing that armstrong pullup program so hopefully i'll increase and be up to at least 10 by the time I ship off.

17. Socrates

Socrates New Member

When I enlisted I could only do 1 pullup. After weight training and eating right, I can do 10 now. Based on my rate of improvement (only started trying to get better at pullups 2 months ago), I am hoping to be able to do about 15 by the time I leave on July 5th.

On my bicep/back day, I would do 50 pullups (however many sets it took) --- then I would do high weight/low reps on my lat pulldown (More than bodyweight, about 4-5 reps). Also, whenever I would run at night, everytime I passed the local elementary, I would hop on the pullup bar and do a set.

I don't believe guys going in boot camp only doing 1 pullup can come out doing 15. You burn off more calories than you take in in boot camp, so gaining that much muscle doesn't seem likely. Your muscles would get used to the motion and you would get better, but nothing dramatic. Probably the reason they can do more pullups is mostly because they weigh so much less, and they would be pulling less weight.

18. Hud

Hud Quit Cryin'

Thanks!

19. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

If you have any questions about the 18X program feel free to ask me. I'll be around till Tuesday then I'm off to SERE for 19 days but then I'll be back.