WEB Looking to hire a part time designer: $30/hour a reasonable rate?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by infinite loop, Mar 18, 2008.

1. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

I'm looking for someone with excellent CSS, HTML/DHTML, Javascript, and Photoshop experience to build several websites from the ground up via customer interaction.

Flash, Silverlight, and Illustrator not required, but very desirable.

Is $30/hour a reasonable rate for the desired skill sets?

I'm used to hiring salaried developers and dba's, hiring an hourly web person is a new experience for me :hs:

2. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Not unless you're providing benefits and allowing telecommuting.

3. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

it is a reasonable rate but only if they fit all the requirements and you offer health. Telecommuniting shoudl be offered but wouldn't be required. If I did that I would like to be able to set some hours some weeks where I can work from home or possibly have half days.

4. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

why not pay project based? hourly is kind of sketched cuz you have to micromanage how long the guy takes to built

5. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

This would work better I think. My personal opinion here Id be getting a systems analyst type and get him to pump out skinned drupal sites.

6. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

If i were you i wouldn't charge by the hour. I remember when a client wanted me to design some internal sites for him, and charged per hour. I did the brief layout quick like usual, and slowly added more things.

He thought i was done, so he basically said "alright thanks for your work" and made me finish off the project :hsugh:

I was only like 1/2 way done too. Last i've heard, they got another person who added onto my design without my permission.

Ever since that, ive not done work on an hourly basis.

7. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

hey guys, thanks for the feedback. some clarifications..

1. i can't offer telecommuting. part of the problem now is i as a PM don't have the time to work with our customers to develop solutions. our customers are all old school and need quite a bit of guidance to keep them from doing harm (i wouldn't be surprised if someone wanted dancing hamsters as their page background). they mean well, but they just don't get web technologies. the ideal candidate would work independently in developing solutions side by side with the customer. templates are generally frowned upon and the efforts will more often then not need to be creative, original efforts.

2. the length of work is indefinite. i don't have budget to hire a salaried position, but i'm looking for other units to help me fund the position. i might move the hourly rate up a bit, but for all intents and purposes, this position will never exceed 25 hours/week.

3. we will not make it project based because i don't want the person or the budget to dissapear after a project or two are completed. my goal is to eventually convert the position to a salaried employee.

4. those of you who have expressed interest.. i will PM you once the position is posted to see if you're still interested.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008