Looking to get the best sound out of my 89 F150

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fl00red7, Jan 11, 2005.

1. fl00red7

fl00red7 New Member

Hey all you car audio gurus, I have a 1989 F150, and I want to get the best sound out of the audio system possible. I don't mean like crazy amazing blow your mind bass, I just want really good quality, crisp sound... so I can crank the stereo and not get distortion. Currently I have a 200 WATT JVC deck, two infinity 6 1/2" speakers in the doors, and two old 12" subs in the back powered by an older sony amp. It sounds ok, but I still get some crackling when I really crank it and it distorts. I was thinking about maybe ditching the subs for a new amp and 2 more infinity 6 1/2"s. Then running all 4 speakers from the amp. Would this help me by quite a bit or no?? If so, what would be my best choice for the amp?? Anyone else got some other suggestions?

I was also thinking about getting some bass tubes to put behind the seats of my truck, that way it will free up some much need room in the cab(I'm 6'4" and its a regular cab) + give me some good bass.

2. 04

04 Guest

I would suggest getting a new amplifier for your front speakers first. The headunit's amp doesnt put out very much power.

Are you getting crackling noises from your subwoofers, or just the speakers?

3. fl00red7

fl00red7 New Member

Just the speakers.

4. fl00red7

fl00red7 New Member

5. 04

04 Guest

If that's the case, then I'd definately get a new amplifier for them. How much would you want to spend?

6. fl00red7

fl00red7 New Member

Not that much, just enough to get good quality sound out of them, I don't need show quality, jaw dropping sound out of it.

7. 04

04 Guest

http://www.cardomain.com/item/USAUSC2080

What about something like that? Or does it need to be cheaper?

8. fl00red7

fl00red7 New Member

That looks good, do you think I would be able to eliminate my subs with the use of a little amp like that? I am really shy on room in my truck seeing at is only regular cab.

If I keep my subs, how would I be able to hook that amp up, I only have 1 pre-out on my deck, would that amp have an extra one that I could run to my other amp? The current amp I have dosn't. I supposed if all fails, I could always go ahead and get those splitters that convert 1 wire into 2. Would their be any loss of quality using these?

Thanks.

9. fl00red7

fl00red7 New Member

After further reading I see it says it has pre-amp outputs, so that should do the trick for my 2nd question, right?