A&P looking to get into more photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by volvoc70, Jul 7, 2008.

1. volvoc70

volvoc70 New Member

well i used to have a rebel xti but i had to get rid of it. well now my parents said they would like to buy me a new camera for my birthday. I was looking at a Canon 40D.

Would you recommend this camera to one that wants to have a bit more features than the xti? Also is there any Nikon that is like the Canon 40D?

Also how is the lens that comes with the Canon 40D in the kit? It seems pretty solid to just begin with a 135 mm with around a 4-5 point focus range.

2. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

um i believe the closest camera is the d300. It is a little bit more expensive, 12mp to 10mp. someone else in otap can chime in who knows this better than i do though

3. ¤

¤ New Member

If you go for a 40D kit, get the one with 17-85mm lens.

It's more expensive than the kit with the 28-135mm lens, but the wider-angle range of the 17-85 on the 40D is much more useful for indoor and landscape shots - you will be able to capture more scenery in one shot with the wider lens.

The 40D is a 1.6x "crop-body", so the 17-85mm lens is roughly the equivalent of a 28-135mm lens on a full-frame body.

4. 3-THREE-7

3-THREE-7 New Member

If I were doing it again. I think I'd go with a 40D body only, and a Sigma 30mm 1.4.

5. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

40D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 = :cool:

Adding more glass would be ideal but until you're comfortable with the combo maybe adding an external flash (430EX is groovy) would make a huge difference to your indoor and your outdoor fill shots as well.

I was a natural light guy until I tried shooting the first time with a flash and I regretted not getting one earlier as soon as I saw the first pics. I missed so many indoor shots prior that I can't go back and take ... :wtc:

6. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

good combo.. :cool:

my first combo was 20D and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8