Looking to get home audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by B-Lo, Jan 20, 2002.

1. B-Lo

B-Lo The new beast mode :x:

and have no idea what is the good stuff out there. I m looking for a component system that is nice but do not want to spend an arm and a leg on it. Im looking for a setup for home theater but will play hip hop without a problem.

2. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

It all depends on how big your arms and legs are. What's your budget? Doesn't take a fortune to get excellent sound.

3. B-Lo

Hmmm budget. Lets say 1-2 grand to get started. Im a poor college kis so thats about it for now

4. JSHTROD

JSHTROD New Member

Unfortunately, that will not buy a good system. Just too much stuff to buy.

5 speakers, DVD player/source of your choice, Receiver/Seperates, Cabling, Stands, Subwoofer....

If you want something decent, now, you can get away with a Energy sub/sat system. It's around 1k, decent, small, and sounds good.

That will leave you 1k for a receiver and source. Buy a CHEAP DVD player. No real difference in sound quality unless you spend 1k or more. So... 100bux will do ya.

That leaves 900 for Receiver. Don't skimp here. Look and listen to Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, and H/K.

This will give you a decent budget system. It will sound good in a small room, and give you plenty of tight boom for your music.

You'd have to spend about 10k to get a REALLY good HT setup.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

i second the marantz and yamaha recievers, great sounding stuff. Check out B&W speakers you will have to get the cheapest ones but even those sound amazing(wait that would be about 1500 by its self, they will blow anything else out of the water. also try klipsch they sound alot harder because they have a horn tweeter, but they are way louder then any thing else. could also try boston acoustics. Energy subs are the way to go, dont skimp on wiring. Dont get too cheap of a DVD player because some dont have all of the outputs that you would use, optical out, component video and so on.

6. B-Lo

Already gotr a dvd player. Just need the reciever, cabling, speakers. So around 900 on a reciever is good?

7. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

Well for a complete 5.1 system you could get 5 identical minimonitors or bookselfs from Paradigm, PSB, or NHT to name a few. These should run in the 200-250 ballpark for a pair, so about $750 will get you 6 identical speakers for the start of a 6.1 system (DD EX, DTS 6.1, etc). Add about $500 for a HSU small cube sub and you're at about $1200-1300 on the speakers. Now you can find a Denon 3802 with all the latest bells and whistles including DPL II (I think) for $800 online. I know a guy online if you need.

You could probaby get the speakers for less if you shop around online. This will give you the start of an excellent sounding system (for small to small/medium sized room). As for cabling, you could try www.bettercables.com Good quality cables that aren't too expensive. It'll put you over your budget though unless you get a killer deal on the speakers.

8. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

well since you said basically a budget system... Klipsch is out :(

The easiest way to do home theater is slowly buy them component by component... most people buy the big things first and let em sit awhile... like tower speakers and a subwoofer, then the next time around they buy a nice receiver (5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 are all nice, especially the new ones that are capable of 300+watts per channel) .. then the surround speakers and the other bits like the DVD player, disc changer, etc.. :)

some people save the subwoofer for last though (and with most klipsch towers you really don't need one unless you're in need of more bass than the towers will give off [250 watt subs in each tower, nice shit IMO]) ...

9. JSHTROD

JSHTROD New Member

I'll second most of what's been said.

Something else to do...

You'll find you can get many different speakers from similar MFG's at the same pricepoint. So you will ask yourself... "Why NHT, over B&W?"

When you've ironed out your budget, and receiver, you need to go LISTEN to the speakers. If possible, even with the receiver you own (or very similar model).

This phase of picking a HT is the most subjective. And often the hardest. As what a speaker sounds like varies from each person to person.

I like the smooth 'mellow' sound of B&W's over the 'hard' sound of Klipsh. But that's just my ear.

10. B-Lo

Well I have some cabling, dvd, and a sub(just got to build box) I was looking at yamaha reciever, you guys said they are good right? What is 7.1 ? is that mean 7 speakers +1 sub?

11. JSHTROD

JSHTROD New Member

7.1 is yet another format available for surround sound. It is different from 5.1 because it adds another set of rear/side surround speakers. So instead of just two surrounds, you have SIDE surrounds, and REAR surrounds. It's meant to smooth the transition of front to rear sound.

That's the theory at least.

There not many affordable receivers that can decode the format, and futhermore, even less DVD's that take advantage of it.

Something else... Sometimes Receivers will have the capability to process 7.1 channels, but only have amplification for 5. So to take advantage of two more surround speakers, you have to buy another amp... keep this in mind.