GUN Looking to get a red dot mounted to my AK - which fakepoint and which mount?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jun 29, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I've heard good things about the 1337 tactical ones. Who here as one? And what makes it better than all the others? Is it a "reflex" sight? And what kind of mount should I get for it? A side mount? Gas tube mount? :dunno:

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Side mount would be good if you want to use optics made originally for AKs. And gas tube mount would be better for optics made originally for Picatinny rails. You can also get scout mount, one that replaces the rear sight. I believe those come with Picatinny rails too.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd get a Kobra and side mount personally, that said if your looking to do it on the cheap I've had pretty good luck with my Hakko TacPoint. You can get the Kobra with mount for about $225, tacpoint and mount should be doable for a bit over $100.

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ultimak

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Ultimak replaces the gas block. What's the problem? :o Afaik, all it needs is the shim kit to work on the smallbore Aks.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

also, i had one of the ones from 1337tactical and i liked it but i never shot anything with it. :o

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The name of the game is finding a setup that mounts as low as possible due to the relatively low comb of most/all AK stocks. Many of the sidemounts you see are way too high to allow for a decent cheekweld, and some of them only allow for mouting OFF the centerline of the bore (a concession IMO)

The Ultimak + Aimpoint isn't a bad set-up. I didn't care for mounting an Eotech up front (too high).

Another possible route is taking a BP-02 sidemount and modifying it. This gets you pretty low, but doesn't allow for the removal of the dustcover with the optic in place (not a deal breaker IMO, but I'm not part of the "clean a gun after every shot" clan). There was a good write up (with pics) over on ARFCOM posted by a guy named 'BrianSmithWins'. I've lost the link, but thats the one I went by when I made mine.

I've seen several setups on the net using a Aimpoint Micro to get lower than the fullsize 'points, but haven't tried it myself and thus can't comment. It does look promising, however.

I didn't care for the russian stuff personally. The Kobra sets up too high, and I had one go tits up after about 500rds (wouldn't hold zero). The other russian glass has also been so-so in my experience.

LaRue has been alluding to a end-all mount for a while now, but I haven't heard anything about it for a long time; I assume it's probably vaporware. The best things going now appear to be the Ultimak or modified BP-02 with a Aimpoint variant.

Lastly.... I would reconsider buying one of the clones. Why would you want to buy a product that's only selling point is that it's a cheap knock-off of a well-known example, marketed towards airsofters? If buying a "copy" of the real thing suits you, then to each their own I guess; I've always been of the opinion that shit is shit, regardless of the price.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Sorry, I meant gas tube. :o

9. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

iron sights>* on ak

10. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

I have a l337 tactical fakepoint that I had on the AR. It was impressively accurate for a cheap counterfeit optic.

11. johnson

johnson New Member

ultimak and aimpoint h-1

gotm4 on m4carbine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

http://scoutscopes.com/

edit: They used to have one with peepsight + scout scope base, if that was still around I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

13. xpinchx

What's the point? I've heard good things about them and I'm a poor college student. The AK is just for plinking, it's not a defensive rifle.

14. xpinchx

And that ultimak shit is expensive, any cheaper alternatives? And if I get a gas tube mount, will I have to re-zero after cleaning?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  15. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Jimmy Pop Cornholio forsakenisanidiot.info

I like 1337 tactical ones. I have used a few and even have one myself.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've seen one of the handguard with rails somewhere for $40 may of been a tapco product though. Only mount cheaper then that would be some of the siderail mounts.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Depends how well built your AK is, one of my WASR's you can move the tube slightly when its on the rifle so that would be a poor rifle to one on. If you dont plan to use irons go with the rear replacement. I like using my irons so I wont use anything that will hinder them thats why I like the sidemounts, and no worries about losing zero when I take it off.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Fair... It's your money.

Personally, I don't care to support a company whose making more/less knockoffs of another companies design. Aimpoint has spent big $ R&D'ing a good product and they support the .mil and other shooters. I just find it tacky, not unlike the fake Leupy's that populate Ebay.

Also, it's worth the extra $ to me to buy something that I don't have to worry about going tits up whenever I take it out. Only you can decide how hard you truly are on gear, but I like to beat shit up and see WTF, and stuff like that only serves as a lesson in false economics. An optic that doesn't hold zero, has a reticle that blooms out to be nearly unuseable, or that simply doesn't work (yeah, I'm not going by hearsay here....) is simply costing me more money/time in the end. I'd much rather skip the bullshit, work some more, and source a used Aimpoint than have to pay twice for the same project.

FWIW, the BP-02 isn't an all bad mounting system. I scored mine for $30 and the mods were free. A drill press helps, but you could probably get by with a steady hand and a drill gun (or make a rig for a improv drill stand). I would consider it the best value for the money as far as current AK mounts go.

19. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

I originally snagged a fakepoint to see if I would enjoy shooting with that type of optic before I dropped a not small amount of coin on a real Aimpoint and mount. It turns out that the fakepoint (l337 tactical) works pretty well. Only reason I took it off is to put a halfway decent 1-4x Millet on there in a good mount.

After my experience I'll buy an actual aimpoint and a good repeatable mount. I'll probably also sell the fakepoint/mount without losing too much money :)

20. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Ultimak and a Burris Fastfire would be a decent sub-$300 AK optic rig that would also maintain some pretty good quality. The Fastfire is no Aimpoint, but they've held up pretty well on AK's and would certainly serve better than any knock-off you find.