Looking to get a laptop, wondered if you guys had suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by therealdeal, Oct 19, 2006.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

The computer I'm using now is 8 years old (Pentium II, 128mb RAM, 16MB Video card, 10GB HDD) and I feel like its time I bit the bullet and got a new one.

I was just wondering if you guys could give me some recommendation on specs/brands. I'm basically going to be using the laptop for school, and my main activities are just internet usage + music/videos. Not planning on getting an apple because they seem overpriced and marketed to people who are stupider with computers than me.

I was thinking something like 60-80GB drive (what are good RPM speeds nowawadays on hard drives? Is that even important?). Are there any disc drive brands that are more reliable than another? Same goes with processors, are there better makes/models? Can you recommend a good video card?

Most importantly, what is the best OS right now? I fucking hate Windows XP. This computer still runs Win 98 out of spite.

I think even the cheapest, crappiest laptop from Dell would be better than what I have right now, but hopefully I can squeeze another 5-8 years outta this one.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Get a 7200 rpm hard drive if you can. That's the fastest you'll find in a laptop and it makes a big difference over the 5400 rpm drive. You won't be able to choose your hard drive brand when getting a laptop. Any brand can last forever or die the first week. Get a USB2.0 hard drive to back you stuff up.

If you don't plan on playing games, don't spend extra on powerful video card.

Whatever you buy will come with WinXP. You can always wipe it out and put some flavor of Linux on it if you want. You hate XP and prefer 98? WTF? 98 is such an unreliable POS. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yes, any piece of shit you buy today will be 100x better than your current machine. I could never use a machine for 5-8 years. I'd have shot myself years ago if I had to use your Pentium II. I'm keep my systems a while (current machine is a 4 year old P4) but damn, 8 years is beyond ancient. And still running the OS that can't renew an IP address without fucking up? Sheeesh

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yep, I've had my Dell a little less then a week and I love it. I changed my configuration from the OP in the link below so you'll have to read the thread to see what I changed.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2808732

My buddy had the Dell 1505 and is as happy with his as I am with mine. These are really nice computers and offer a lot for the money IMO.

If you go with a Dell, be sure that before you buy it, you google Dell Coupons. You can find some very nice coupons like up to 20% off but they are only offered on certain models and at certain times.

Dell also has some nice financing. The no interest for a year is over but you can get no interest till 2007. That just free money!! Anyways, good luck.

4. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

5. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Thanks guys those are good suggestions already. What are the differences between WinXP, WinXP Media Centre and WinXP Pro?

Also, how much RAM/ processing power do you think a computer needs nowadays?

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

WinXP used to have 2 different versions, XP Home and XP Pro. The pro version had more features for networking and such but was also more expensive. Most laptops were sold with XP Home because the average user didn't need all the functionality of pro.

XP Media Center Edition is a newly added version. I'm not sure which one it's built on (home or pro) but since pro was an option I could upgrade to, I would assume that MCE replaces home (which wasn't an option when I bought my laptop).

Your second question is hard to answer because everyone is different and your needs may change over time. You also have to think about when you will purchase your next computer (after this one). So if you will be playing a lot of games or editing videos where you will have to edit and compile both audio and video, then you're going to want all the processing power you can get, as well as RAM and video card. If you are simply surfing the net, doing email and other office aps, then it's really just a matter of preference because every computer on the market can do those things. If you don't want to buy a new computer for 3-5 years, then you should plan on buying the best you can get.

However, if your money is limited (like a typical college student) then you may not be able to afford much. This makes your choices of computers even more important because you may have to decided between more RAM or a different processor. Still, it goes back to what you will be doing.

So you see, it's really dependent on your needs but generally speaking if you buy closer to the latest technology available, then it will be current longer. But as you prolly know, everything in computers is obsolete within a very short time frame.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Cool thanks man, I appreciate it.