A&P looking to get a dSLR.. Nikon D70?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by HardTech, Jul 25, 2007.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

There are two for sale near me on Craigslist:

Nikon D70 Digital SLR: Body & Lens - $625

or

Nikon D70 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) w/accessories - $500

which is the better deal? Assuming they are in the same condition (I think the top one is in better condition, and it's a lot closer to me)

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Which lens?

Which accessories?

3. HardTech

HardTech hungry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Is that the first one?

What about the 2nd one?

The one you posted seems to be a really good deal. You'll love the 18-70 too...

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

that's the first one. The second one just comes with the body and accessories, which probably means all the stuff that came in the original box.

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, then i'd go with the first one. You'll pay more than $125 for that lens if you try to buy it seperately.

7. HardTech

HardTech hungry

is this a good camera for a beginner, though? I'm not looking to be a professional, I just want better shots during vacations and holidays and stuff

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Do you want an SLR?

They're not 'point and shoots'...

Yes, it's an awesome camera. But SLR's have learning curves, and require thought.

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

D70 still demands $500 used? It's certainly a capable camera, but noise handling is noticeably subpar to recent Nikons.

10. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I know they're not P&S cameras, but every P&S I've had in the past left a little something to be desired in terms of picture quality. I pretty much want something that's as easy as a P&S but with the quality of an SLR :hsugh:

11. HardTech

HardTech hungry

would you say a D50 or D40x is better for me then?

12. slugsgomoo

slugsgomoo New Member

I would buy the d40 (not the d40x, which i think is a waste of money) personally.

There are a few disadvantages to the d70 (SD vs. CF memory, no AF/AF-D autofocus support on the d40 bodies, etc) but overall it's got a bunch of improvements and it's easier to get really good stuff out of it.

I'd rather buy a body that I'll outgrow, spend the money on nice lenses and then have the lenses when I am ready to upgrade to a different body. :dunno:

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Not necessarily, but I would say noise handling between D70 and D50 (and subsequent Nikons) are a generation apart.

From what you described as your need, I don't think you will be shooting in RAW or do any post processing with the jpeg; D50 does capture better off the camera JPEG than D70.

http://www.stunningnikon.com/picturetown/

Picturetown is something that Nikon did to promote D40, they basically gave away 200 (?) D40 in a town and had everyday people take pictures. Check out the gallery and see if you like what you are seeing. Note that D40 is not compatible with ALL Nikon lenses.

14. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

buy a P&S like the canon G7

15. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

ive been using mine for 3 years

absolutely love it. been pondering upgrading to a D200 but I feel i dont NEED to.

here are some pics.

KIT LENS
    [​IMG]

50mm 1.8
    [​IMG]

16. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

sorry i can't really agree with you here. i used my d70 for two years before I bought my d200 and the difference between you and i:

I take pictures
    YOU MEASUREBATE

stop worrying about the little details, buy what you can afford and take pictures as much as possible. the d70 is an awesome camera even if it is outdated. i really doubt if they gave that same town a d70 the pictures would be any different.

17. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Saying D50 takes better JPEG straight out of the cam when it's clear the OP won't be doing much PP is not measurebating. It's relevant information that he can use to make his decision.

I never said D70 sucked, not sure where you imagined this out of my post even when I specifically said that it was a capable camera.

If you gave same 200 people D70s as opposed to D40s I bet you the pictures won't look as good. D70 tends to underexpose and its default color space is set to less vibrant setting than D40, so you get pictures with less pop right out of camera. If you know how to PP you have wider options available to you with D70 than D40 but if you are just snapping pictures and not doing any PP, D40 wins.

18. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Someone had to say it.

It's very important to note that in the world of DSLR's, the camera body doesn't matter much. This has been beat to death in this forum before, but it's the truth. The difference between the actual pictures that come from a D50 and a Canon 5D are NOT that different.

Glass is much more important.

The d70 will serve you just fine. So will the d40.

I personally would chose the d70, because the d40 is too small for my hands, and ergonomics are much more important than the teeny, tiny advancements in the cameras ability to take pictures.

19. HardTech

HardTech hungry

well what about the d50 then? Looks a bit more compact than the D70 (+), has the auto-focus motor that the D40 lacks (+), and I'm assuming I can use all of the consumer Nikon lenses?

20. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Here's a comparison I put together of the D40, D50 and D70. All at iso 200.

Which one is which?

[​IMG]

They'll all do the same thing for you.

Your best bet is to go to a camera shop and hold each of em in your hand. Buy the one that feels best.