Looking to get a car- suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Furq, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Furq

Furq Daddy Fatsacks

Looking for my first car, hoping to spend somewhere around 10,000 which i think is pretty good for a first car. Currently looking at a Lexus SC400, but I'm still open to suggestions. I'd prefer a coupe, but so far I have yet to find a coupe similar to the SC in the same price range.

What would you guys recommend? A few weeks ago I asked about the SC specifically and people had good comments on it, but I'd like to remain open to other cars too just in case.

2. mattsmall

mattsmall New Member

your the one thats going to be driving it so get something that you enjoy driving.

3. Furq

Furq Daddy Fatsacks

:hsugh: notice im only asking for suggestions. also if anyone has a certain car they can share their experiences, problems with that model etc

4. LarryZ

LarryZ i love sticky rice

get a accord coupe

5. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Coupe's from the honda side, 4th & 5th generation prelude, integra Type R... That is if you like high powered n/a FWd's...

The SC400 is a nice car, iv driven one, the automatic gearbox makes it boring, interior wise its excellent, the engine is really smooth, but the exterior is rather ugly *as i think most soarers are*, and it lacks power...

If you wanted a SC400, id opt to get a japanese import and get the 1GJTTE version. soarer...

I think your smart for not going nissan, but 300zx TT's are nice.

If you want a performance car, id steer clear of all but the TT soarer's... even than they are quite refined, and... heavy.

6. solid snake

solid snake New Member

pls excuse typos, keyboard driver issues.

sc300/400 is a good car. Not a blazinn jdm tite 1/4 mi monster, but smooth and has pickup.
    Telll us more about what you're looking for in a car. Do you commute alot? How old are you? This iis your first car to buy, or first evar? Is insurance a consideration? Do you have a garage / covered parkiing? Do you want to park your lexus outside or under a tree or somewhere it can be constantly dinged? the last would prevent me from getting a lexus as a daily driver.
    I'm personally a big fan of getting a beater fiirst. Buut 10k gives you plenty of choices, if tthat's what you want to spend. Give us more information on what you need the car for, and test drive a few.

7. Furq

Furq Daddy Fatsacks

Well speed isnt a huge factor, i want something reasonably quick but im not gonna be racing anyone here.

I want something pretty nice interior wise, it will be parked in a garage. Insurance is somewhat important, but as i want something with a nice interior i wouldnt even really consider a 300zx twin turbo etc. Im 18 about to turn 19.

Thanks

8. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

00 Celica GTS

9. Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham New Member

:ugh:

For $10k, I'd look at newer model preludes (4th gen). I love these cars for some reason. Maybe an E36 3-series Bimmer?

More suggestions:

late 90's Subaru 2.5RS
    S14 240SX, later models go for $5k-8k usually, but are hard to find in good shape w/ manual tranny
    Accord Coupe
    Maxima

10. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

miata =D

11. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

The SC400 is pretty nice... really smooth and comfortable to drive, but not very fun or fast. They also tend to last forever without any major issues. I had an LS400 with 170k miles on it, and it had zero problems.

12. SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes New Member

(Some of) the longest lasting cars built, in no particular order: BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, Toyota, old VWs

13. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

:ugh: and where exactly do u get this information?

14. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

Ditch the SC400 idea and try to find a SC300 5spd. You will not be disappointed. This is only if you ever, ever want to get into performance options with the car in the future. If not, then I guess SC400 will due as well.

If you are performance oriented, for the future, the SC300 provides the same nonturbo motor as the NA supra, and well, the NA-T crowd has seen 9's.

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The only car I can think of that would be comparable would be an E36 (late 90s) BMW 328is coupe. The only advantage it really has is handling; power to weight is the same as an SC300, it gets about the same fuel mileage, and the SC is much better looking (imo) and likely more reliable.

SC300 5-speed might not be a bad idea for a future 2JZ-GTE swap (I wouldn't turbo the stock engine), but they are quite rare and difficult to find. You can imagine how many SC300 buyers would've wanted a manual in their car instead of an automatic.

Small note, if you can find a deal and/or stretch for a 1998 model SC400, the power went up that year from 260 to 300. Along with some minor styling changes.