Looking to do full engine build up

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by xedubx, Jun 8, 2007.

1. xedubx

xedubx New Member

im thinking of building a brand new 4.6L for my 03 gt. it seems like a good project and im looking to try and make 400 hp n/a with it. what does it mean to "balance" an engine? can i purely just correctly assemble all the parts? i've torn down complete blocks and rebuilt them but never "balanced" any of them. what's the deal?

2. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

Balancing refers to literally balancing the rotating assembly, i.e. rods pistons & crank. In a small block V8, generally the counterweights on the crankshaft are drilled and modified to accept plugs of mallory heavy metal, so as to correct the difference in weight between lightened after market connecting rods and a factory crank.

When one blueprints a motor, balancing is generally a good idea. Usually when you tear down a shorblock, and reassemble with new rings and the like, you don't need to re-balance the rotating assembly, as that was done at the factory.

Here's an neat article:

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0301_budget_engine_build/engines_balancing.html

3. murderer

murderer ****** by ***** *********s

4. Trevor_Shiggs

Trevor_Shiggs T-Swift :love:

400hp na?

you're gonna want to drop an ls1 in there...with a nice heads and cam package

5. xedubx

xedubx New Member

ok everyone keeps saying 400 is outta the question with the 2v and i wanna stay n\a. say i just go stage 2 heads and agressive cam. what kinda numbers would i be lookin at? i already have 75mm throttle bodies, BBK CAI, and BBK o\r x-pipe.

6. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

with heads and a cam on a 2v, 300 maybe? probably not even 300.

7. murderer

murderer ****** by ***** *********s

300 to the wheels would be easy actually, 320 would be a little difficult, and anything more than that isn't worth the price....buy a blower/turbo/nitrous/LSX/350z

8. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

300 n/a on a 2v isn't that easy.

9. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

Hell, you don't even need the heads just a nice cam

10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Heads and cam swap on a 4.6 2V might net 300 horse at the crank, depending on how aggressive your cams are and how well the heads flow.

The engine is fundamentally a 283 CI, so ask yourself how aggressive you would have to get to make 300 hp out of mid 60's SBC 283 or SBF 289, and that's how aggressive you would have to go to make the power out of a SOHC 4.6.

He's also gonna have to tweak the tune and the fuel system, but if he's dropping the motor and talking about rebuilding it he probably already knew that.

The advantage he has over a 1960's small block is computerized injection. It will allow him to tune it for driveability (somewhat) where an older (280-290 CI) motor would have to have a huge carb and zero low end to make the same numbers.

Good luck, have fun, and buy a blower.

11. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

Blower FTW on a 2v haha.