Looking to buy a server...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hsmith, Apr 20, 2006.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I am looking to buy a server for the business i am starting. for now it will hold the DB and run the application on it. it will be the only DB and app on the box.

would buying something used off ebay be a bad idea? i need something somewhat powerful but still cheap. if i get new, i want to go with dell (even though they aren't the best) just so i can get my moneys worth to get off the ground. i would be looking to upgrade in a few months if all goes well ( :x: ) anyway.

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

If this is going to be your primary server, I would recommend buying new. That way, if something does go wrong, you have someone to go to for support and warranty issues. Dell isn't horrible for servers, but I would personally recommend HP/Compaq. Their Proliant line kicks ass.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

It will be my primary for hopefully no more than 3 months. I am using shared hosting right now, but it is a royal pain in the ass because sometimes the server is slow as balls.

i know i want a raid setup

My short term "goal" after i get off the ground and have customers is to get:
    1 DB Server
    2 App Servers
    1 State Server (to hold session info, cheap)

i'd probably be looking to move this, if i get something used to the state server. my gut tells me to get something new, but cash is the issue at the moment :o

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've been hearing a lot of bad press about Dell's customer service.
    I don't know if I could trust them for a server.
    You could always build one though. How much are you hoping to spend?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I will say this, as much as I hate Dell, their business support is not the same as their home support -- and their business support is decent.

I would still shy away from their products, but a business server from Dell is not to be confused with one of their desktops.

IBM and HP are two other companies whose desktops I despise, yet they tend to make excellent servers.

Also don't rule out building your own. An Intel Entry Level Server Board is an excellent base for a basic server. Also look at the Intel Server Chassis, which include case, power supply, motherboard, and thermal solutions. Simply add CPU(s), HDD(s), and OS.

6. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I have a spare server
    HP
    P3 700MHZ
    196 ram
    2*20 g scsi

I have it hosting my page, a DB, and a few other things, fine

the only thing is it's loud

I dont know if it's too slow or you need something faster, if you're interested let me know I will let it go cheap

7. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

That's another one I forgot. Intel makes awesome servers. Another one that I've used in the past is SuperMicro. They tend to be reliable, but if anything does go wrong, their service isn't always the best.

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

true enough.

i didn't realize how $$$ colo is either. i hope my boss will let me drop a server in our rack for awhile :o

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

do you ahve a good link to where to start to pick up parts?

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

12. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

http://www.cdw.com has a lot for the HP Proliant stuff. Otherwise, for the Intel and SuperMicro stuff, I always have gotten mine through http://www.datelsys.com locally in San Diego. I'm sure they would ship as well. Datel won't have the stuff on their website, but if you call, they would for sure help you out.

13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

newegg has a relatively small yet comprehensive server section on their site. You can use their search and features to compare, etc. If you felt comfortable you could build one yourself to custom specs.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you want it hosted, a dedicated server lease from a company such as EV1Servers, Serverbeach, etc, may be the most cost-effective route. Server + OS + Bandwidth + Space + Power for as little as $100 a month.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Suns low end servers start at $750. A friend just got a couple low end models and is very pleased with them.

16. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Dell's business support sucks, but their server support is great. They speak English and actually know their shit withut reading through a manual for two hours.

17. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i'd like to get sun, but it is an ASP.NET app, so windows is necessary. :hs:

18. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i'd probably go for their 24/7 4Hr site repair service. HP would probably be my upgrade choice, dell the "off the ground" choice.

i looked at semi/dedicated hosting, but what i am getting for what i am paying, it is almost the same as buying my own box and throwing it in i rack.

argh, decisions.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Sounds like you just need any old PC, with a good RAID card running RAID 1, and a USB hard drive for backup. Any of the entry level Dell servers would do.

20. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Don't count on the thermal solution being included with the chassis in most intel server chassis outside of the 1U low end pentium IV/D solutions such as SR1325/1425/1475. In almost every other case you have to buy the appropriate CPU (Xeon's tend to come in 3 flavors; 1U part number ends in FU, Active part number ends in FA, and passive ends in FP).

Also if you want more silent cooling depending on the chassis you have to buy the appropriate workstation cooling kit (sold per CPU) Though some SKU's including 1x of them meaning you buy the second for the second proc, such as on the 7525GP.

As a heads up the brand new Xeon platform is about to be released by Intel, the integrated platforms will be the 1500, 1550, and 2500 while the non integrated will include the 5000(v,x,p) generally mounted in the 5400, 5299, and the others listed above.

21. sentient

sentient New Member

If you are starting your own business, you're going to need a lot of reliability and up time. Do you have your own connection - i.e. you already have a datacenter you can colo at for cheap? Your own private connection won't cut it, not even a T3 (plus you have to factor in redundant back up power supplies, etc.). Because if you don't have access to a cheap datacenter, I would recommend renting a dedicated server (Especially if you're going to upgrade in a few months).

Most of the time renting servers is waaay cheaper than colocating. Colocating is if you want lots of control over your server(s) and/or if you have a lot of them (i.e. over 25). Once you pass a certain amount of servers, colo does start becoming the better deal, but if you only have 1, save yourself the pain and get yourself a dedicated server.

You can get a dedicated server for cheap at layeredtech.com, although you might need management if you're new to the remote server management deal. Even with management (normally no more than 100/month), the dedicated server is still going to be cheaper than your colo (Assuming that you're going to use a reasonable amount of bw).

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why would he want to locate his shite at a colo/rental place? Just buy a damned PC with RAID 1 man. A small business does not need anything more. There's been no indication that he's doing anything requiring beefy hardware or lots of connectivity anyway.

23. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I think i decided to go with a semi-dedicted server to start off initially. If get a good few clients, i will get my own server and throw it at a colo center. we have one of the largest in the country like 20 miles from where i live, so it will have awesome uptime.

i want to divert all the money iw ould have spent on a server on advertising, to get that client base. if i can be spending $100/month on a semi-dedicated server i can spend what iw ould have coughed up for a server on the advertising.

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

There is zero indication that you need a server whatsoever. You already have a computer. You're posting from it. Use that.

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i can't use my laptop as a server. plus i need to have 99.99999% uptime. it will be DB intensive as well once people start subscribing