Looking to buy a Netbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guld, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

As the title suggests, I'm looking to buy a netbook.

I want something that is light weight, preferably 10", that has enough power to do a few things you can't do really low end netbooks. I want to be able to do the typical netbook type things (Web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc), as well as a few other things such as photo editing and some video playback.

I've been looking at the Acer Aspire One 532h (link - just go to products then the Aspire One 532h) quite closely, and it seems to have everything I'm looking for in a netbook; however, there are a few things that I'm unsure of. Those being:

The battery life - The only model I can get comes with a 3 cell battery, instead of the 6 cell battery. Could I buy a 6 cell battery later to swap it out if I need it?

Windows Starter 7 - I've looked into the features that come with it and no one mentions anything about language packs. Would I be able to install foreign language packs (Japanese specifically) to be able to view characters and type using an IME?

Photo Editing - Nothing too intense, just touch-ups, colour correction, levels, etc. Would this netbook be able to handle that type of work?

Power cord - I'm not entirely sure what type of plug it comes with. I need a cord that only has two flat prongs instead of the two flat and one round. Does anyone know what this comes with?

If anyone has experience with the Acer Aspire One 532h or know of another netbook with a similar price tag that fits these needs, input would be greatly appreciated.

2. thekraft

thekraft New Member

You can replace the battery afterward. Photoediting should be fine, but will be slow. The cord is probably going to come with 3 prongs, but you can pull out the grounded one (at your own risk; it's there for a reason).

3. Chris

Chris New Member

4. thekraft

thekraft New Member

5. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Every hardware store should have one of these for sale

[​IMG]

6. Chris

Chris New Member

yeah, or that

7. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

I ended up getting an ASUS Eee PC 1005PE for $399.99 CAN. It has a 14 hour battery life with expandable memory. Does everything I want it to. Works for me.