looking to buy a home theatre system...what to buy and where?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TankRizzo, Jul 28, 2002.

1. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Sensational Moderator Super Moderator

I'm looking to spend around $800 for a home theatre surround system (it's ok if it's a DVD player as well but not manditory). Does anyone have any suggestions of what to get/look for and where to buy it. Also, what brands should I avoid. Thanks :)

2. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Sensational Moderator Super Moderator

anyone, anyone?[/benstein]

3. 04

04 Guest

You could get a home theater in a box, but I personally do not like them. If I were you, I would spend around 200 dollars on a reciever, then around 25 dollars on cables, seriously, you DO NOT need expensive cables, 16awg speaker wire will be just fine, and the RCA cables that come with the unit will work fine as well. Then spend the rest on speakers. In your price range, I personally would say forget about the surround for now, and spend around 500 to 600 on a good pair of speakers. But, you probably want an entire setup, so you could go to Best Buy or CC or Ultimate and listen to their speakers. Try listening to Boston Acoustics, Polk, JBL, Infinity, Klipshce, etc. Listen to see what speakers sound best to YOU. Do not listen to the opinions of the salesmen on what speakers to buy, they can only help you pick out a specific size speaker, or one that fits your decor. They cannot tell you how it sounds, you have to decide that yourself. Listen to as many speaker sets in your price range. Listen to music that you know what it sounds like, dont be afraid to bring in your own stuff. Listen to see what speaker sounds the most accurate - not necessarily the best sounding. If you get the speaker with great bass and great treble (exaggerated), you will find them fatiguing after many hours of listening.

I have no idea what your level of bass enjoyment is so here is a subwoofer that you might find interesting: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...5&St3=43501900&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15942&DID=7
    Its a 10" and I have heard very favorable reviews of it. Its only 99 dollars too.

That leaves around 500 dollars left for the speakers, after you total the 200 for receiver and 100 for the subwoofer. It will be tough, but you can find 5 home theater speakers for that much.

Go to the stores and listen, and come back and tell us what speakers sound best to you, and their price, and we can tell you if they are good or not.

4. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

For great values, go to www.speedandsound.com

Their energy speakers sets rock!!!!! Hella better than brands carried at CC, Bestbuy, etc.....