A&P Looking to build off camera light setup.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MSIGuy, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So, I'm wanting to build a little off camera setup but don't feel like shelling out for PW's and Bogen lightstands quite yet.

The setup I have is a 40d with 580EX II, Sunpak 383, and Vivtar 273.

I've been looking at the Catcus V2 transimters and recievers, but don't really know what I need to get. I've seen that there are problems with the (I think) V2s and the 580EX II's and 430EX right?

Also, are there any good deals on ebay flash stands and maybe a few umbrella holders?

Lastly, stupid question, but can't really tell. Do the poverty wizards work with the shoe of the flash, or am I going to still need some short PC sync cords to go to the Sunpak 383 and the 580EX II? (I've got that stupid little Vivtar sync cord already).

Thanks for the help!

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

3. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

you can use the cactus triggers either way. when using my 550ex or 285hv, i will use the trigger's hot shoe. i have used the pc sync port of the trigger with my ab400 though.

as far as light stands go, if you aren't needing to support much in the way of weight or needing it to be sturdy enough to use an umbrella outside in the wind, then an ebay one should be fine. i've got 3 of the strobist recommended bogen stands, and 2 cheap ebay ones that hold a background bar. the ebay ones aren't as sturdy, but all they hold is a 4-6ft bar with some cloth clamped to it.

4. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I'm just sorta trying to keep the cost down, I don't know how much heavy use I'll get out of these. I can deal with a stand that isn't as sturdy if it means I can just throw a bag of sand on the bottom that's fine.

What about the Cactus triggers, do I need the V2 or the V2s?

5. nine

nine OT Supporter

i have the impact lightstand kit from b&h comes with two (nicer than i expected) lightstands, two umbrellas, and two umbrella mounts for $99.

the cactus triggers are fine, but if i were you i'd wait for
    http://www.alienbees.com/csrb.html

6. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

since you have a vivitar, you'll need at least 1 V2s. The rest you should be fine with the V2

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

you can order them now, they're just on back order.

8. nine

nine OT Supporter

yeah, but i don't think the first battery powered receivers will ship until mid july

9. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I got the 2 stands/clamps/umbrellas off ebay for 40 bucks and really hate them. The clamps in particular are pure shit. They will soon be replaced and I ahte nothing more than having to REBUY equipment. Same will eventually go for the poverty wizards although for 80 bucks it's worth it to get your feet wet.

10. nine

nine OT Supporter

what are you thinking of buying instead?