looking to build a server/nas unit for cheap, need help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 19, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ok, i'm looking to build a server unit that will run windows 2000/xp. the reason behind that is that i need this unit to run tivo desktop software. i would use ultra vnc to control it to download what shows i want. it will also hold other programs and backup junk i want. i need something on a network that will be able to download tivo shows.

i need the following:
    case with power supply
    motherboard with processor/heatsink/fan (with onboard video and lan)
    ram
    budget - keep it under $200
    i will supply the hard drives (200gb seagate and 200 maxtor) and i won't need a cd drive other than initial system installation.

the problem i've been running into is that i would buy a crappy old computer <500 mhz and it's bios wouldn't support a hard drive larger than 8.4gb, so it wouldn't be able to boot from it. bios updates are nonexistant for technology that old.
    i'd like it to be at least 700 mhz and be able to boot off of a 200 gb drive. i have run windows xp pro on a 233 mhz with 96 mb of ram. it works, barely. so, i'd like to have at least 256 mb of ram, and 512 ideally.
    i've been searching ebay, but i can't find anything good other than dell optiplexes and small form factor pcs

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Can't help you much but I have a fileserver I keep in a closet and backup alot of my "important" files. It's a AMD 2400+ w/1GB RAM
    I connect to it through Windows Remote Desktop and although it's been a while since i have tried, I don't think it can play video very well by streaming to my main pc. Is ultra VNC better at this????

3. dorkultra

http://www.ultravnc.com/
    i just found it yesterday, previously, i had been using remote desktop. but i didn't like how you had to wait for it to log off each time.
    install the viewer on your desktop and install the server on the fileserver

4. chips

chips ...

useing new semi-not really decent parts your over 240 with out ram..

5. dorkultra

screenshot of spying on my dad.
    [​IMG]

6. dorkultra

i can configure the following system from a local place and pick it up:
    magicmicro.com
    AMD 64 Barebones #1 (AMD 64 2600+, Video, 8xAGP,SATA, Sound, LAN, )
    AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Socket 754 256k Cache
    Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 approved fan
    PC Chips M871G DDR400, Onboard Video, SATA, Sound, LAN, USB2.0
    256Mb PC 3200 DDR400
    256 Bit AGP 3D Graphics card (up to 64 mb shared onboard-only if listed with board)
    AC 97 32 BIT Full Duplex sound card (onboard)
    10/100 Network card adapter (onboard)
    PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case 400W w/ Front USB

total - $215 (+tax)

(i bought my current pc from this place, it's not too far away...only scary part is that it's like a warehouse with an office and tons of russian people. i waited about 10 minutes in the lobby for someone who spoke english)

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I don't remember waiting to log off the server???

SO have you tried to stream video from your dads pc (or another) to your pc? I'm just looking for a cure to a problem I'm having with tivo files. I can't view them on my main machine after I transfer them. They just freeze. Sometimes a few seconds into the program, sometimes a minute or two.
    So I can't edit the video, etc. I can however, burn the tivo file straight to a dvd and it plays fine??? Been talking with tivo support for months about it. No resolution yet.
    I can transfer them to my laptop and they play fine.

8. dorkultra

well, i'm sure it's instantanious log on on the server, for my 233mhz server, it takes about 10 seconds...so i'm sure you don't even notice it.

i haven't tried streaming video. if i want to do that, i will get a device that is specific for that. gigabit ethernet would be your friend too.
    sounds like the computer your trying to view the file on is screwed up. maybe reinstall windows media player and tivo desktop. or format and reinstall your system. i haven't had any trouble playing tivo files. i used to use directshow dump to drop the encryption, but now i use videoredo.
    i like to use videoredo software to cut out my commercials before i burn with nero, i think that drops all the encryption also.

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Well, I would tend to believe it's the computer also. I will probably do a fresh install of windows in the near future.
    I have read alot over at tivocommunity.com and even talked with some tech support people from tivo to help me with this. There is at least one other person that has the same issue as me with the files. I have tried numerous codec packs but nothing has worked.
    I have heard of videoredo and directshowdump. I'm very interested in using them but with my current situation it may be a while.
    Hope you get your up and running. BTW the spec you mentioned from magicmicro.com seem pretty good for 215 even if you have to deal with the Russkies.

10. dorkultra

i think i might just set aside a little cash and buy the cheapy $300 computer from dell.com or the one on outpost.com