Looking to build a new PC and have a few questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by irrompible, Sep 19, 2007.

1. irrompible

irrompible Member

I'm looking to build a new gaming PC and wanted to get some CPU suggestions before I placed my order.

I've always been an AMD fanboy but want to build an Intel system this time. I don't really know anything about the Intel processor lineup so I've just been looking around at different CPUs.

Is the Core 2 Duo E6850 the best dual core that intel has out at the moment? Would I see an increase in gaming performance by going to 4 cores over 2?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

It's fairly safe to say that you're going to better off with 2 faster cores rather than 4 slower cores when it comes to gaming. Not a lot of programs can make use of multiple cores at this point, but that doesn't mean having more cores isn't useful. There's always more than you think going on with your system, windows updates in the background, windows explorer, antivirus, etc. They all use a bit, which can add up.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

smarter to go with Intel, anyway. Faster chips.

4. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

I myself would prefer a quad core for my next build since I game, but that is not all I do. I surf the web more than I game. And a quad core for its sheer multi-tasking ability will be my next pick.