Looking to Build a New Computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ThreeUp3Down, May 1, 2005.

1. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

Well I haven't really payed attention to any new hardware since the last time I was building a computer so I'm not really sure what's what. Typically I always built a budget system using yesterday's technology and I'm still not looking for the shit that came out yesterday with minute performance enhancements and hundreds of extra dollars on the price tag but was looking to build a respectable system. I'm going to do my own research as always but like to here from other people and their recommendations. Here is what I was looking to do with it. I don't really do any gaming but I do multitable a lot of poker and run a lot of apps at the same time and watch a ton of movies. I was looking to do a dual LCD screen setup and want my computer to function as a TiVO. Despite the fact I don't really play many games I would still like it to be able to handle them and also wanted to watercool so it will be quiet and I can OC with ease if I so desire. I've never done a dual screen setup or had my computer function as a TiVO (I don't want it to select shows for me but I do want to be able to record them to my HD at X time on X channel I'm sure it is doable) so this is my main thing I was curious about. How I'm picturing my system is an Athlon 64 processor [I'm not sure what the difference between it and the 64 FX is it's something I will have to look into], 1gb of PC2700 or PC3200 and possibly 1.5-2gb, a 200gb HD or two 120s, Radeon 9800 256mb AIW, and I'm not sure about the mobo but probably something modest and likely with built in sound though I'm considering getting a modest surround sound system and hook it up to my computer so would a decent sound card make a difference? Glancing over this it is long and poorly written but w/e any comments are appreciated as to what I would need to do a dual screen and make it a DVR. Thanks.

2. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

If you tell us your price range for the whole system that would really help.

3. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

270s are old and busted (probably literally)

280s are the new hotness (goddamn, 2 horrible puns in a row)

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

all dells suck. You can build a BETTER machine for LESS money.

6. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

You think?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i know.

is that sarcasm?

8. tofuthecourageous

tofuthecourageous OT Supporter

i sure do hope so...

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Unless you want one of Dells cheap-ass ones they always show in commercials for like $300-$400.

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Yeah, it is worth it only because you get a monitor, and an OS with thoose cheap deals. If I was spending more than 500 bucks I would build my own.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I pay for my software, and I build machines for about a grand less than the comprable dell (and my machine looks better, has more features, and is custom to my needs)

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

about 6 months ago I built a P4 550 with Intel D925XCVLK, 1GB DDR2 XMS, 6600GT PCI-E, 250GB Maxtor SATA, 160GB Seagate SATA, CMStacker, enermax PSU, SBAud2Plat, WinMCE2k5 (legit), nVTV, floppy, WiFi, and Office2k3 pro (legit)... All for under a grand. Dell couldn't touch that price.

13. mapileTree

mapileTree Active Member

hey what mobo are you going to go with? i made a thread like this but no one replied :wtc:

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're a fucking dumbass... 6 months ago Intel had a promo that had a P4 550 *RETAIL* and 925 mobo for $199 shipped. All other parts were @ distributor cost.

15. ThinkTANK

ThinkTANK New Member

dell offers lcd's included with the package. giving it more worth.

But for a 4300 or comparable, i'd rather build my own. They're startin to get to the propriatory setups which really suck for upgrades and add-ons.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If I configure macines comprable to what *I* build and use, then I do them for about a grand less... I didn't say that I did that with your middle-of-the-run machines.