Looking to build a computer and I need help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mjbjhu, Nov 9, 2006.

1. mjbjhu

mjbjhu Because it's your dog...

Like the title says, I am looking to build my first ever computer. I have some knowledge of computers, but not a bunch. I would like to set up the computer to run flight simulator software, but I don't want to get too expensive.

I am in no rush to build the computer so I don't mind waiting a bit for deals or specials, and I am not opposed to buying some piece of technology that is slightly older to save some money (assuming of course that it is still current technology and usable on my system).

Does anyone have any tutorials, online resources, or anything that I can read to familiarize myself with the terminology and process? Any help would be appreciated.

2. mjbjhu

bump, anyone help a brother out?

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I saw a tutorial the other day but forgot where it was. :hs:

Just search here a few pages back. there have been several threads on component suggestions.
    It's easy to put it all together. Just post a budget and you will get suggestions.

4. mjbjhu

Thanks, I'll just try and dig through some back pages

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

SO are you trying to run a game type flight simulator?
    Search back but I can recommend a C2D 6300 (6400 or 6600 for more $). Probably an Asus p5B (p5b deluxe for more $), 2 GB corsair, etc. RAM.
    Not sure on video card, that's where I'm stumped as well.
    Do you need monitor and everythign or are you reusing some things from another pc?

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yeah, there's a lot of helpful people in this forum ftw.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Here's a guide that I posted in another thread just recently.

It has some decent pics that will help.

Certain things like your video card, and cpu will come with detailed instructions that you want to follow as well.

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/35_1.html

8. mjbjhu

I want to run something like MS flight simulator and I have nothing to salvage from an older computer. I would need to buy everything (case, monitor, PSU etc). In terms of budget, I am pretty flexible but I was thinking abot $1100 or so. That can go up a bit and can of course come down a lot but I want something that will last me for at least 4 years (for the basic operations like word processing and internet) and something that will let me get a few years of decent gaming.

9. mjbjhu

awesome, thanks

10. mjbjhu

how about this, is there any place I can read up on what this all means (eg. SATA, socket type, DDR etc). Basically, is there anything I can read to familiarize myself with terminology and know what is better why. And why something is more expensive?

(I know, I'm a complete computer idiot. But if anyone has any Biology/Medical questions send them my way)

11. negative zero

negative zero New Member

My best advice would be to go to a dedicated computer forum. Not that you won't get great advice from here. But the dedicated forums have alot more traffic and alot of posts to search through. There are alot of them around but here's a few that are pretty good.
    Anandtech Forums (probably one of the most visited)
    Hard Forums (very popular as well)
    Silent PC (making things quiet)
    Xtreme Systems
    OCForums Overclocking

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

You shouldn't need to spend that much on such a machine these days. I've an athlon xp 2600+ with 384mb ram (something like that, there's more good ram in my brother's broken comp, 512mb of it, and I can't be arsed to throw it into mine: this machine's fine!) and a radeon 9700 pro. This should be capable to run MS flight simulator. I can't try it, because something tells me there won't be a GNU/Linux port/release (and I can't be arsed to play with wine).

If I had $1100 that I had to spend on a computer (I'm not that fond of putting money into computers - what's all these advancements for, so we can spend MORE on computers? ;)), probably at least half of it would go on a good monitor, keyboard, mouse, and maybe a good printer & scanner with what I have left.

13. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Also on your specific questions.

SATA is a "newer" standard for hard drive (and optical drives). It replaced/tried to replace IDE.

Socket type - there's a tough one to answer. Without getting insto that my advice is to just concentrate on a Intel C2D system. I don't think many would argue that is is the absolute best bang for the buck currently.

DDR is a ram "standard". i think it mean Double Data Rate or something like that. DDR2 is the current spec and it comes in several different speeds but I think 667MHz and 800MHz is probably what you should go with.

14. mjbjhu

awesome help guys, thanks. I'll check out some of those other forums and maybe sit down and reanalyze my budget. Like I said I need everything, but hopefully I can come in well under that $1100 mark.

I thought for a while about just buying a dell or something, but then I figured building one would be more fun. Hopefully it will be. Thanks again

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

[nitpick]

Oh, SATA definitely replaced IDE. It replaced the hell out of IDE. USB, on the other hand, couldn't seem to kill the floppy drive, because who would ever want a portable multi-gigabyte boot disk, right?

[/nitpick]

You want to get RAM that has the lowest common integer factor of your CPU's clock speed. What does that mean? It means that, if you get RAM that runs 1/2 as fast as your CPU, not only will it run faster than RAM that runs 1/3 as fast as your CPU, but it will also run faster than RAM that runs 1/1.5 as fast as your CPU. Why? Because your CPU can't communicate with the RAM on a half-cycle -- the RAM will still have to wait 3 CPU cycles (2 x 1.5) to talk to the CPU and give it more data.

16. mjbjhu

more good info, thanks. You guys really are great