Looking into an IBook - dont know a damn thing about macs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Juggernaut, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

Alright,

I am seriously considering a 12" ibook to replace my current laptop. My current lappy is a good one, but its just too cumbersome. from what i have read, the 12" ibook is great for school/work.

What i need to do is compile java programs, do word documents, surf the net and such forth.

Now here's my questions.

1) i have a shit ton of PC programs. Will I be able to install microsoft office right onto the ibook, or do i need to go get a whole new office suit?

2) what is the battery life of the ibook?

3) will i be able to install photoshop right onto it or do i have to go get a mac version of photoshop?

4) is there anyway to be able to run .net on ibooks? Like some program that will allow it, or not?

5) what will NOT run on macs?

6) the 1.33ghz processor - tell me about it. Is it good? Is it slow? I want to upgrade my ibook to 512 or more of ram. :hsd:

7) any advice?

THANKS! :)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a) Get the powerbook. It's smaller, and much more rugged.

1) You should buy the Mac version of office. You can get the "Students and Teachers" edition for $150.
    2) 5-6 hours is what they claim. 3 hours is more realistic, imo.
    3) Mac version of pshop
    4) kinda/sorta... I'll explain at the end
    5) PC software, kinda/sorta... See end.
    6) the 1.33GHz is a good chip. Not the fastest -- don't expect that.
    7) You have 256MB onboard. So add at least a 512MB stick... That gives you 768MB.

You can use Virtual PC to run your PC apps, but it's unreliable and dog slow. If you want a PC, then get a PC. If you want a Mac, then run Mac software.

3. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

yeah i am a university student so there are 2 options to me:

Microsoft Office Mac 2004 Standard $7.00

Microsoft Office pro v.X w/Virtual PC 6.1 for Mac $21.00

which do i want?

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

The 12" is small and compact while utilizing a fullsize key board. The first thing you will notice is that the iBooks are very light and streamlined. One of the things I notice about our PowerBook is that it just slides in and out of the bag and doesn't snag on anything. It's not heavy or awkward. All aps are OS compliant only. So PC aps can only be run on PC. Same with Mac. There is virtual PC, but the jury is out on that one for me because I have yet to try it. Then again, I don't need it. I have all the programs that I had in Windows on my Mac currently. PCs use an .exe install file and Macs use a .dmg install file. So no compatibility.

With memory, the more the better. Macs utilize memory better then PCs do and you can instantly tell a performance difference when you upgrade it. It's like power pellets for Pac-Man.

The best thing to do is go to the nearest Apple store and check them out in person. That's what we did when we went looking for an iBook for my GF. We went in to check out the 14" iBook and walked out with a 15" powerbook, 20" Apple cinema display, 2.0 GHz Powermac and an HP 3-in-1. :o The student discounts were just too good to pass up. :hs:

This may be the closest store to you. http://www.apple.com/retail/willowbend/map/

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Microsoft Office Mac 2004

6. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

:Owned: by apple... lol

well seriously, i have always been a PC junky. I actually would rag on mac users, calling them slow and inept to the world.

Now i am coming to the conclusion that its not the mac world who is slow and inept, its the PC world who is in the stone age and has yet to wake up to civilization :hs:

Being in IT and having a CSE degree , this is like an epiphany for me :hs:

7. POScar

POScar Believe in OFFTOPIC

you could get the "student and teachers" edition or just get it from bittorrent :o

8. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

1. get the iBook
    2. for software, i'll give you an invite to TKA which is a mac only software bt site

9. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I'm going iBook this week, I hope for the best =)

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I had to buy one to understand it. now that I do, I don't understand how I didn't understand! Its just so incredibly easy!

11. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I think that is the same reaction for everyone that has made the switch. When my GF and I did, she kept asking me where this was or that was like I had all the answers. So I would just look under the common sense placed icons and menus and viola, there would be what she was looking for. It's very understandable while Apple design is so well followed.

12. elcano

elcano Guest

I generally get 5hrs out of my 12" ibook (800mhz)

13. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

it is now my goal to buy one soon :x:

if you guys hear of any good specials, please PM me and let me know :x:

14. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

the BEST deal you'll catch on one is to sign up for a student developer discount. i saved like $400 on my powerbook by doing it. they send you free stuff all year too.

15. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Apple is the only store that is allowed to sell below retail. It's your best bet if you are concerned with saving straight cash.