Looking/Interested in a new Civic...any advice?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Rynn, May 28, 2003.

1. Rynn

Rynn Guest

I currently own a 1998 Ford Contour SE (4cyl Zetec, Auto). It's not a terrible car, but the resale value on it will be next to nothing once it's paid off in a couple of years and the CD4E auto tranny isn't known for it's reliability. Also, Ford doesn't really have anything else I'm very interested in (I think the Focus is one of the worst ideas ever). I've kept up on the maintenance like a hawk and it runs great, and only has 68k miles. Now, my gf needs a new car and doesn't want something overly expensive, and kind of likes my little 'Tour. She told me she'd take over the payments on the Contour for the remaining two years, and then I'll give her the title so she can keep/trade/do whatever she'd like with it.

Herein lies my question; I've always wanted to own a fun manual shift car and I've heard nothing but good things about Hondas. I'm not one of those "OMG I SAW THAT CAR ON FAST AND FURIOUS I WANT TEH IMPORT!" kind of guy, but I know several people with 10+ year old Hondas that run almost like new, and are still worth more than the measly $500 my car would be worth. The Accords are pretty pricey, and I don't want to pay more than $15,000 if I really have to. I've seen a few 2003 Civics for about $13,000 MSRP (which I'm sure I could get knocked down) and I've also seen a bunch of Certified Used Civics. The 2003 I looked at had no power options except for steering and brakes, but I get the bonus of a brand new car and manufacturer warranty. With a Certified Used, I get a warranty somewhat and also might get a few power options, but of course it'll have a few miles on it and I won't know exactly where it's been. What would you do in my situation?

Also, what types of Civics would you suggest (such as SI, LX, EX, DX, etc) for a guy who just wants a fun sedan with manual shift, and still afford to take the woman out to dinner at least once a year? I don't want anything really sporty, but I don't want a really small cramped car as well. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

dx is the lowest line no cd
    lx has most convience things but not antilock brakes and moon roof
    ex has everything basically
    si is the sport version with much more hp but only comes in hatchback form

3. Profet

Profet Guest

Stick w/ the civic EX, if you want more power/stick/and some options
    Stick w/ the civic DX, if you want economic/stick/no options

Those and LX are the only 4 doors, but the LX are only Auto's.

Goodluck and good choice :big grin:

4. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

wrong!...... all are manual or auto.... and all are 4 doors or 2 doors with the exception to the si(manual, hatchback only)

5. jsmonet

jsmonet egg

pick up an ex stick and you'll be fine. remember though, it's not going to have much in the way of guts. also, they are geared pretty tall. the difference from my 2k si (now stolen) to the 2k2 ex that i test drove (for fun) was just silly. i didn't like the gearing on the ex at all. this may not be a big deal to you, so who knows.

i'm trying to think of a few other cars to consider... have you looked at the p5 wagon? IMO it looks a LOT better, and is a lot more fun to drive. if you do your homework you can get one at a really good price. it might be a little more than you want to pay, but it felt like a better car to me (also handled a lot better :big grin:)

you can look into a base mini cooper as well. i don't hink you'll find it for that low of a price though. it's just something to consider. i've seen a bunch for about 16k, so that's not bad :) it handles very well too, but you take an hp loss in comparison to the civic ex, and moreso to the p5.

there is also the aerio from suzuki (not quite as smooth as the rest), and the mitsu lancer. the lancer isn't bad, but doesn't tickle my fancy at all.

6. Rynn

Rynn Guest

Well, I kind of took your advice. Instead of getting the P5 wagon (I'm not a big sport wagon guy) I got the '03 Protege DX 5 speed (Emerald Green) with A/C and CD player for $10,000 after a dealer discount. After adding in the payoff for my car, and tax, title, etc, I got the car a little under sticker price so I didn't really lose any money if you think about it. I'm really happy with the decision too, especially after test driving a Civic EX. I don't know what it was about it, but I just didn't think the EX was as fun to drive as the Protege. Plus, the Honda dealer wasn't willing to give me a comparable deal to what Mazda could, so I had to walk. He wanted to get me into a lease, but I told him I didn't want to pay 3 years on a lease and then end up having to pay for 4 more years on the car just to own it. He tried giving me this fucked up logic:

Him: "Well, if you want to save money, you can lease the car. And then if you don't want to finance it at the end when the lease is up, you'll have about $6000".

Me: "What do you mean? Honda will give me $6000 at the end of the lease?"

Him: "No, you'll have $6000 to spend when the lease is up!"

Me: "Umm..how do you figure that? I can't sell the car because I don't own it, and at the end of the lease I don't have a car. So how do you figure I'll have about $6000?"

Him: "That's the money you'll save by leasing!"

Me: "But I won't have a car at the end of the lease if I decide not to buy it, and I'll have to pay on it for 4 more years or so."

He obviously didn't see how fucked up that logic was. Sure, you could save the money you don't spend on the financing, but if you're going to do that then you obviously could afford the payments. WTF?