Looking for ways to un ignorant myself about some computer issues.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Torch, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Torch

Torch Platinum Plus Member

First off, my X has a computer science degree and has always been knowledgeable about that stuff, so in the past my X was the one that built our computers, set them up, maintained, and fixed problems. I tried to ask questions and learn, but... well... if you are married you probably already know why that did not work out so well. :nono:

Anyway, I am having a problem with my laptop when I start it up. It takes a long time for the processor speed to drop below 65%. I did try to look up what causes that and I am a bit more confused that I was in the beginning. My initial reaction was to find the program that is attached to this process and make it stop, or, just remove it altogether. Then I run into an issue about how important the process is to the overall operation of the computer. For example I noticed a Lucoms.exe process running at random times taking up a ton of processor speed. I did a search and after sifting through all the BS, I found a solution that was easier than I thought.

When I run "msconfig.exe" I can see the start up processes, also I can click on Start/Programs/Startup and see a list there as well. I have not figured out yet why they do not have the same lists though. Any help clearing that up for me would be greatly appreciated.

Now I have two processes that take up a TON of processor time when I startup; one is "pctsSvc.exe" and the other is "RTHDCPL.exe". The former takes up about 50% of the processor for the first two minutes and the latter takes up 99% of the processor after a minute or two has passed. Right now I assume these are what has my laptop taking days to load. :eek3:

From my research I will try a check the box and reboot solution, then I am just going to remove it through MSconfig. The latter one must be an error or something because the process is a part of my Real Tech Audio Control. Which, I assume I need to have and cannot remove. :hs:

This is all crap. :bash: Stuff appearing on our computers without approval, updates happening in the background doing only God knows what, force updates and force shutdowns are BS. It is like these computers run us. Each newer version has even more problems than the previous, however it looks pretty. :rofl:

Ok, sorry for the ranting. Any help with regards to the above process and how to remove them or not have them cause the laptop to take ten minutes to be ready to go, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any helpful sites, links, etc. that I could read/research this topic generally, would be very helpful. I am just trying to understand how to clean my computer up so that it works like it should. When I purchased the laptop it had thirty something processes running, now that number is in the mid seventies.

Again, any help or advice on how I can make my laptop run faster would be greatly appreciated. The laptop is 2.5 years old and is soooo much slower than it used to be.

Thanks in advance, if there was info that I left out that would be needed to give suggestions, please feel free to ask.

:x: :wavey:

2. jvblackxj

jvblackxj VW4Life

RTHDCPL.exe is your Sound Card Software. If you remove it, Your sound card might not work Properly (though it still might Work).

pctsSvc.exe is PC Tools Spyware Doctor. You can un-install this program, but if you do not have any spyware protection, I would get MS Defender.

Sounds like it is time to get an Apple, Just kidding. I do not promote either Microsoft or Apple. I know they both have there place.

I think at this point we need more information about your machine.

Processor Speed: ???
    How Much RAM: ???
    What is the OS: ??? (Assuming XP)

Is there a way you can get us a list of the items in the Startup tab in msconfig. (Shift+Print Screen is a great tool here).

Note on how to use Print Screen: Click on the window you want to screen capture. Hold the Shift Key down and hit the Print Screen Key. Open up Paint or any program that accepts Image input (Word, Excel, Paint, Photoshop). Go to the Edit menu and click paste. The window should get pasted into your workspace or document.

if you want to send it to me, we can work through email. [email protected]

There are some other things you can do to get information needed, but it is not something I want to openly discuss. Playing in the Registry is inherently dangerous, unless you know what you are doing.

Jason V

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Lucoms.exe is Norton Live Updater. Do you have Norton Anti-Productivity Suite installed? If so, remove it and install Avast! antivirus, free from www.avast.com.

4. jvblackxj

jvblackxj VW4Life

If you are running anything Norton 2007 or later, throw as much ram as you can in the machine or get rid of it. Norton Kills Speed.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Symantec Corporate Edition products are good, but the consumer-edition Norton products have gone to shit, I'm afraid.

6. jvblackxj

jvblackxj VW4Life

Agreed, I run Symantec Antivirus Corporate at home. effective, efficient and pretty silent.