looking for way to backup: external drive, NAS, what?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

its been weighing more and more on my mind that i dont have my precious files backed up. i want all my chat logs, pics/photos, mp3s, pda backups, that kinda thing, i dont have a pron collection that needs saving or anything

what would be the best way for me to do this? i dont really have access to any storage space on any computer thats not on my network, so having a server somewhere else doesnt seem possible. im not looking to pay a monthly thing either.

ive got:
    notebook - xp pro
    notebook - xp home
    desktop (x3) - xp pro

linksys g wireless with 3 ports free

ive got cd burners on all but one of the notebooks, but i dont want to do that if it can be avoided

if simply having an external drive and moving it from computer to computer is the best, thats not really a big deal, ive already got one that is extra storage for the xp home notebook.

i really like the idea of having network attached storage... is there a cheaper way to do it? buy a hd with rebates and an enclosure and do it myself?

thanks

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I use a Linksys NLSU2.

I have an 80 gig hard drive in an external enclosure attached to it that I backup my files to. It can support up to 2 hard drives though USB. It sits directly on my network with an IP address that any machine can get to.

The only down side is that the Linksys device has to format the hard drives and does so with some sort of Linux file system, so you wont be able to pull the drive off it and put it into a PC unless you are running Linux.

Besides that, it's great. I can even log into it from work to grab files when I need to.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is