Looking for used Honda Accord coupes

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sean Connery, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Sean Connery

Sean Connery New Member

My price range is <$8k. How many miles is too many? I can find a couple 03's with high mileage, or should I just stick to 00's with < 100k miles? Any specific problem areas? With the proper maintenance, these things can last a long time, right?

2. Anudist

Anudist Turnin' Jesus on, one lightswitch at a time.

Typically Honda's will last a long time with proper care and maintenance. However, if the car has been neglected it may already be on it's way out before 100k. If you can find one with lower mileage and the owner has kept a service record on so you know what's been done, I'd go that route.

3. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Trying to help my buddy who's in the exact same boat as you. There is a 2000 Accord Coupe for $7700 in my area with only 82000 miles. Honestly no matter what car I buy I'd require a maintenance record book. You could buy a car with 15000 miles that never had the oil changed and have it blow up 5k miles later..

Edit: My 01 accord has 50k miles and I've had no major issues, but the gas mileage sucks. Replacing a lot of shit this weekend even though it still runs good. Think the spark plugs are shitty cause I changed them out when I didn't need to, and put crappy ones in.

4. Sean Connery

Sean Connery New Member

ORLY? I thought they got decent mileage. Do you have the V6?

5. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

No no, from what I understand they do get good mileage, I think it's something in particular in my car. I get about 16.5-17 in the city and about 18.5-19 on the highway. Everything I've ever read, even the V6's get at least a 20/25 split.

6. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

Well it depends on if it's a V6 or 4 cylinder. V6s have severe reliability issues with their transmissions.

7. accord04ex

accord04ex OT Supporter

those reliability issues deal with the 98-02 autos generally... 03 and up they implemented a fix. manuals appear to not have any major issues. I have an 04 6 mt.

8. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

ERRR, wrong. I know for a fact that the problem was persistent in the 03 Accord V6s. Hell I put one in an 03 that had about 300 miles on it.

9. accord04ex

accord04ex OT Supporter

I believe there was a TSB "fix" for the 03s.

10. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

Nope sorry. The failure of transmissions wasn't capable of being fixed by a tsb, that's why Honda extended the warranties on them to about 100K miles. There were a couple of auto trans shifter related tsbs but they were unrelated to the failures.

Oddly enough if anyone here DOES end up buying a V6 auto 97-05 Accord or TL, you are better off driving it hard. Soft shifts are what tears them up.

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Actually, I am looking for another 4th gen, preferrably a 92-93 since the ignition coil was moved to the fender from the distributor cap like the 90-91. Basically just want it as a work car so I don't rack the miles up on my Maxima. I thought about a small 4 cylinder truck, but the 4th gen Accord has more than enough room in the trunk for my detailing stuff and will get better mileage, have better handling and acceleration plus be a lot more comfortable than a cheap small truck, amirite?

I had a '90 Accord for 9 years so I know how to work on them too. :)

12. Sean Connery

Sean Connery New Member

:coolugh:

Looking in to Maximas as well. Only thing I'm a little skeptic about is the gas mileage/premium fuel.

13. caddymac

caddymac New Member

I've always liked the looks of the 98-02 coupes, especially the rear taillights.

14. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

premium is FTMFL

15. Sean Connery

Sean Connery New Member

Yeah I was almost convinced to buy one, but then realized that I would be spending a lot more on gas to due worse mileage and premium only.

16. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

It is worth the extra horsepower. Seriously.

Mostly city driving, I am getting 19.5 mpg which isn't bad for 255 hp. :)

17. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

rule of thumb...look for a car that hasn't been driven more than 12-15k per year. even though hondas can and most do last quite a while even with minimal maintenance, this is still a good rule of thumb for most cars.

check the engine bay, check the interior and take a look at the tires. every used car I or a family member has ever purchased i've always taken a look at the tires for even wear, bald inside edges, etc., because it gives you a great idea of driving style, maintenance and respect the owner had for the car.

18. AhuraMain

AhuraMain Guest

what about inline 4s? Any issues with them and transmissions?