Looking for sound from SuSE & Sun Ultra10

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I was inspired (by playing with Knoppix - which totally rocks!) to install SuSE on my Ultra10 (it had Mandrake and was just sitting around) and use it as a dev machine.

Thanks go to SLED for the monitor ideas and I got passed that problem and some very minor network connectivity issues.

Now what I'm curious about is getting sound out of the box. Mainly to play back MP3s and thats about it. Its a full SuSE install and its got XMMS installed and working. SuSE appears to have correctly identified the sound card and says its running. I fire up XMMS and load an MP3 in there, and it doesn't play - as in no meter, no progress indicator, no ticker showing the MP3's progress. I've fiddled a little with XMMS's config settings to see if changing the sound output device plugin would help and it didn't make a difference.

So my current thoughts are:
    - I still have a config issue somewhere
    - XMMS doesn't have rights to the MP3s (would it need more than just read rights? - I navigate to the directory and include them in a play list. I would figure if I can get this far then I should be good)

And to go slightly off topic to this post: Anyone know of any kick ass all purpose Linux editors that have syntax highlighting (ideally for HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, and C/C++, Assembler would be a plus).

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

will your box play system sounds? i.e. if you go into control center to setup your sound, there should be a test button in there. If that works, then you might need to change (on the Sound I/O tab) the sound i/o method... most likely it's set to "auto detect" which has caused me problems in the past. Try setting to OSS or ALSA

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

No sound from the control center system sound config dialog window thing. This machine has 4 audio jacks and I tried them all and the sound is up on the speakers (and I know the speakers work since they've been plugged into this 233Mhz machine for some time).

Under sound configuration it shows: [0] CS4231EB2 DMA Running - I'm assuming the sound card is all groovy, but maybe I missed something...

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Hmm... I wonder if this has something to do with it (found in a google search):

"However, it does make a difference what windows manager you are running. I would get sound with Gnome, but no sound using KDE. In order to get sound to work with KDE, you need to disable the aRts sound daemon, and use something else. I believe I used the same sound daemon that Gnome uses, although it's been long enough ago that I forget the name. Hope this points you in the right direction."

I'll give this a whirl tonight...

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

good luck man, let me know tonight if you get it working.. sound has always been a bitch in linux

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

IIRC, SuSE has a "test" button in the sound card setup... Plays some music or something. Try that maybe.

Edit: In YaST it's in the sound configuration under "volume".

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Check this out - Under the Control Center (different then Yast2 Control Center), I can test via the system sounds or sound server (there's a test button in there). I can't get sound from either.

For giggles, I went into Yast2 and deleted the sound card driver and reinstalled it (Yast found it on its own). It had a test button and I got sound (which tells me: speakers work, speakers plugged in properly, and sound card does function). After I completed the setup, I haven't been able to get it to produce any sound.

Using audioctl -a, I verified the sound card was not muted and was outputing to the desired devices (line out and headphone jack).

From console, I ran artsd. And I get an error:

Error while initializing the sound driver: device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device or resource busy)

I'm currently hitting google to check this out... Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome!