Looking for some subs and an amp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jay487, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

Basically just getting into car audio etc, so looking for some experienced help.

So far I've found 2 audiobahn AWC12T 12 inch subs with a box for $150.00

From what I've looked around, this seems like a good deal.. but I am not that familiar with any brands or how good audiobahn is, etc.

Also, I cant seem to find a decent mix between power/price for an amp...

any help would be appreciated :o

Also I planned on buying this deck: LINK

Thanks!! :hs:

2. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Not a bad deck, but I would spend less on the HU, and more on the subs and amp. Audiobahn really isnt that great, but they do make a bit of noise. SQ isn't their strong point to say the least. For 150, you will have a hard time getting something really nice, but if its all you have to spend thats cool, audiobahn might not be a bad choice then. I would look at gently used stuff first though.

3. Jay487

excuse my ignorance but what exactly do you mean when you say sound quality? How can you tell how a sub "sounds" if its just bass? :noes:

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

The best way I could explain it would be to show you, but since I can't really do that I will sugest that you go to a nice car audio shop around you, and listen. You will hear how some sound flat, and others will hit a little lower, some wont hit low at all, but just make a bunch of noise. You can also really see how differnt boxes effect the sound, like sealed, ported, and bandpass. Rading what people think, and hearing it foryour self is totally differnt.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Bass is a frequency range. Depends who you talk to, but I'd say bass is generally between 30-95Hz, mid-bass from 95-180Hz. That's roughly estimated, oh and sub-bass (infrasonic) is below 30Hz. A person with undamaged hearing should be able to hear down to 20Hz. However, a lot of people only feel the bass down there, and not actually hear it. So, bass certainly CAN be heard, and therefore be of different qualities just like in a regular speaker. As ledzep said, Audiobahn is not known for sound quality.

6. denim

denim New Member

if you are interested in decent subs with good SQ that are not bad in price,

Sound Splinter RL-i
    RE SE
    Kicker CompVR

7. DJ_Mittens

DJ_Mittens Guest

Don't discount the Apline Type-R's either, or JL W0's. They are all over for fair prices.

Now what do we mean about sound quality? We mean a driver's ability to accurately replicate the signal that is fed to it. Some drivers are better than others. There is a difference between creating random noise loudly and creating the noise the artist originally intended loudly. It involves listening to both.

The best way I can describe it is in dimensions of the sound. Crappy speakers will generally sound flat and lifeless. You will easily hear the sound coming right out of the speaker itself. A good speaker will create a soundstage. It will surround you, and you won't easily be able to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. It should sound like the music is being played inside your head, and not coming out of a hole in the wall.

Don't feel bad if you can't tell the difference. Most people can't. It takes some training to hear the difference, and some people are just born with a musical ear. All it means is that your wallet will be much heavier than ours for the saved money :big grin:

8. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Werd. I am getting new speakrs tomorrow, just becase I got a credit card to Ovation today :p I have a 5500 limit, and I bet I hit it.

9. DJ_Mittens

DJ_Mittens Guest

Ouch. While your ears will be thanking you, your bank will wanna slap ya :big grin:

But I know the feeling. I'm saving up for a 7-channel Klipsch/Sunfire system. I'm budgeting at least $10,000 for it all. Oi, all that just to enjoy a movie. IMAX is going to want to show their movies in my basement :)

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i wouldnt spend 10 G's on a klipsch system if i were you.

11. veonake

Me neither, but this guy also says a radioshack speaker can sound better than a w7.

12. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I don't know how to spend 10g's on a Klipsche setup. I am about to learn how to spend a shitload though :p I am all excited to get myself a new Yamaha 7.1 reciever, and some Klipsche speakers, and a paradigm sub. Thats my plan so far. I kick ass. I love working full time, and having no bills.

13. veonake

Save your money man, at least like 15 or 20% of it and put it in an IRA. No need to go into debt at your age. Btw, there are many other options out there besides Klipsch for home audio. I suggest you take a look at some other brands before deciding on Klipsch.

14. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Yeah, but I can pay it all off in about 6 weeks, Just that I want it now :p If I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't do it. And I know there are other brands out there, but I think Klipsch sounds good.

15. Jay487

I can tell the difference in speakers, but I didnt know a subwoofer was meant to fill your head with sound :dunno:

16. denim

denim New Member

people like to be inside their ports :p