GUN Looking for some info on my shotty...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, Jul 21, 2006.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Hey guys, I meant to put this in the "show us your shotty" thread but didn't have pics at the time. Either way, I'm looking for some info here, or more realistically, some leads on where to find info.

Here's the deal:

I looked around a gun shop for nothing in particular, find this cool old Ithaca, leave, think on it, decided I want it, call them back for the serial #. Check it on the Ithaca site (this was before they went under the last time, they had a serial number registry up) and it says the gun was from 1941!!

So I go to buy it, realize they read me the number off a diff gun, so I have them both on the counter, it's 5 mins after close ( 5 mins before close was the earliest I could get there after work) and the owner walks through, says if I'll get out of the store right now and let them close, he'll sell me both of them for $350! So I decided I couldn't listen to my better judgement and bought them.... not that I looked back with regret at any point or anything.

Well the thing is, one of them is mid-40's, the other is indeed 1941, but it also has "U.S." stamped on the receiver and the barrel is only about 24" with a poly-choke on the end of it. I am guessing that the gun was mustered into service in WWII and chopped down a little, afterward the choke was added to return it to a useable hunting weapon.

-So here lies the real question of the whole thing:

Where can I look to track the history of this weapon? If it says US, then somewhere there must be records of its purchase and issue by the military, right?

Any help or direction would be great guys, THANKS!

cliffs- got a good deal on a very old gun, think it was used in WWII, trying to figure out where to find reference on it from the serial #, any clues??

oh, and here's a couple pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I was thinking the US had no connection to anything and then I just saw this, which made me think of your post:

SMOF4015 - 11306 - U.S. Military Remington "Sportsman" 12 Gage Riot gun- Serial number 508416 with matching number 20 inch cylinder bored riot barrel. Barrel marked with U.S. and flaming bomb. Date code on left side of "PL" indicates manufacture in June 1942. Receiver has roll engraved duck and pheasant scenes on the sides, and is NOT marked "military finish". These are somewhat uncommon WW2 combat shotguns, as most of the Remingtons were the standard Model 11 with the five shot magazine capacity. The "Sportsman" with its shorter magazine only held three rounds but was otherwise mechanically identical with the Model 11. After the war many of the military riot guns were transferred for law enforcement use, and this one shows evidence on the receiver of being held in a vehicle rack. About 95-96% original blue finish remains, but with a lot of tiny specks in the finish from rust freckles. These are not visible from a few feet away but when you get up close they do detract a bit from the overall appearance. Bright bore. Walnut buttstock with checkered pistol grip has been lightly sanded and only the very faintest traces of the FJA over ordnance wheel are visible. The forend has two neatly repaired cracks on the bottom (a weak point where nearly every Browning auto shotgun forend has this problem). Original brown plastic [?] Remington buttplate, not broken or chipped like most. This is a gun that has been in John's collection for about 12 years, but is a duplicate and he is only getting rid of it to make room for new treasures. Well above average example of this hard to find variation for the U.S. martial shotgun collector. $750.00 (View Picture)

http://oldguns.net/cat_fa_old_us_long.htm

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

any flaming bomb marks on it?

4. no7fish

no7fish New Member

yep, just to the left of the "U.S." in the last pic above. It's not real deep and half of it is a little hard to see. What is the bomb for exactly?

BTW, thanks for the help guys!!

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

ah I see it now, its an arsenal marking from the govt

6. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Oh, cool. So how do you guys suppose I can find some history on this weapon? Through the gov't? Or should I just accost collectors and generally knowledgable people such as yourselves...?

7. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Nice find :coold:

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Slamfire! Woot!

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Can you fan it?

AKA Holding the trigger down while cocking for rapid fire.

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yes, every time you return the slide forward, if your finger is still holding the trigger down, it will fire. It's a whole lot of fun!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006