Looking for some good CDs to start out on these bands

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Alexqzilla, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

The Dandy Warhols
    Radiohead
    Grateful Dead
    Frank Zappa
    Black Flag
    Anti Flag
    Nine Inch Nails

I've heard songs by all of them, but I'd like the GOOD stuff.

2. everlong

everlong nice crew

The first cd I liked from Radiohead is In Rainbows. Now I enjoy Kid A and OK Computer. I can't say I have much experience with Nine Inch Nails, but I think The Downward Spiral is good.

3. Two-Lane Blacktop

Two-Lane Blacktop New Member

For Radiohead, I'd start off with OK Computer and The Bends. Those two albums will consume your life for a few months. With those two albums, you have the epic tracks like Paranoid Android, slow songs like Fake Plastic Trees, straight rock songs like Telex...you get the foundation for Radiohead there, and then you can see how their sound has changed throughout the years. But yeah, I think those two albums are the ground floor.

For Dandy Warhols, you can't go wrong with 13 Tales From Bohemia. There are some really good songs on that, and I think that's their peak. The Warhols don't have the career progression that Radiohead have, so I think 13 Tales is just a reminder of what they once had or could have been. If that album had come out now, they'd be one of the biggest bands in America.

4. The "must have" Frank Zappa albums are:

Apostrophe (')
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Joe's Garage Act I, II, III
    Roxy & Elsewhere
    Zoot Allures
    Sleep Dirt
    One Size Fits All

and I got these as a Box Set:

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
    Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More
    Return of the Son of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
    [​IMG]

5. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

Any particular Zappa tracks to get me started? And I'm also looking for Modest Mouse

6. I'll list most of my favorites from each of those in my last post, except the instrumental albums, Shut up & play yer guitar and Sleep Dirt, starting with my most favorites first. Just a reminder that any music posted on OT to be truly appreciated should be heard on a good stereo. Also, his songs should not be questioned too much, because of course, the lyrics get pretty silly and far-out.

Edit: I had to change all these links, and they are all in this thread here:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3991281

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  7. BiscuitsNgroovy

BiscuitsNgroovy OT Supporter

for Dandy Warhols the best 2 cds to start with would be 13 tales from Urban Bohemia and Odditorium or the Warlord of Mars