looking for some advice v. video card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Nov 14, 2009.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

So my motherboard just crapped out on me a few days ago. Im not looking to uprade my processor (939 AMD 3500+) anytime soon, but since I am going to replace my motherboard with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and my cheap 19" HP lcd monitor with the 24" Samsung 2494SW monitor, I was thinking about upgrading my video card (6600gt) to an eVGA 9800GTX or 8800GTX. I'm currently at 2gigs of ram with a 600watt PSU. Will my system support the 9800GTX or 8800GTX? Also, which is the better one? I use my computer mainly for movies and occasionally for games.

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

What sort of games do you play? I don't see that rig doing very well with newer releases, but if turning all the eye candy off and running at 1024x768 is cool with you go for it. Those video cards are about the same in performance, so get the cheaper one.

3. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Mostly RTS and Shooter games. FEAR, Warcraft3, etc... So I won't be able to run it in 1080p?

4. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

With that setup, including the 9800GTX? Maybe, but certainly not well. It's time to stop patching up that system and save up for a whole new rig.

5. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

You are right. But technology advances so fast nowadays, when you have enough saved up for what you want, something better and pricier comes out. It's a never ending cat and mouse chase with computer technology. :hs:

Plus I've been out of the loop from hardware for so long, I don't even know what's good or not. Although, there's always google for that.