Looking for my first HT receiver, I have Klipsh Quintets

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Jan 5, 2009.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Hey guys, I am looking to start my HT setup now that I have a PS3, surround sound would be nice now. I use to have a Denon 5.1 Receiver, with Klipsh Quintet speakers, and a Celestial 100watt 8in sub. As of right now, all I have are the Quintets, so I am looking to complete the setup again.
    What should I buy with a $200 budget for the receiver? 5.1 is fine, as I live in a apartment, and I don't have anywhere to put more speakers. I just want a decently equipped receiver that I can keep for awhile, and upgrade speakers with eventually.

2. Original

Original OT Supporter

some of the best cheap receivers are Onkyos in my experience

3. David02

David02 Guest

Honestly, with $200 to spend you won't get very much at all. Save up an extra $150 and get an Onkyo TX-SR606. It will be well worth it.

4. StealthMode

Wow, thats a very nice unit. $350 is more than I wanted to spend, but, it looks like I will have it for quite a while, well into my first house, so it would be worth it. At some point I would like a set of tower speakers up front, will this receiver accommodate a decent set, power wise?
    I'm itching to get my home theater going again. :coold:

5. David02

David02 Guest

The great thing about the Onkyo 606 is that it's basically the most future proof low end receiver on the market today. It has all the latest audio codecs and will convert any video input to output over HDMI. It has a great set of features for the money.

It absolutely has enough power to run a set of front towers. It can even bi-amp them if your speakers will allow it.

6. StealthMode

Sounds like its a winner :cool: It might take me a little longer than I planned to get it, but thats fine.

7. liptonme

liptonme OT Supporter

I have a similar setup. I have a Pioneer 1018, sounds fine to me...