MIL Looking for input about joining

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Yeemix, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

First, just wanted to say thanks for your service!

I graduated with a degree in Business with an emphasis on information systems, but this wasn't my calling, just picked a major and went with it. I tried working as a programmer, but after a couple of years I couldn’t stand it anymore. It wasn't fulfilling enough, just another paycheck for me to spend on pointless material things. The only things in my life I found that was actually worth something is my fiancé, my buddies, and my family.

In the end, the military route has come back to me. I’ve considered joining several times in the past, but I was young and lost, and college was less of a commitment so I went with that, but now I feel I wasted the last four years working on a degree I have zero interest in. My fiancé is supportive of whatever choice I make, but she has a career as a mechanical engineer, and it seems selfish for me to join and take her side into account.

I haven’t decided on a path yet, but I was hoping to use my degree to join as an officer. I realize it’s more than just a pay increase, it’s the responsibility as well. I have no problem with responsibility, watching out for those under my command or getting shitted on when someone does something wrong. The only problem is I couldn’t find an area that interested me as an officer, but I found many as an enlisted person that I could enjoy. I have a huge interest in firearms, and I’m a decent shot with most weapons I’ve come across. I would plan on making the military a career, but that’s based on what I currently know about life.

The Air Force is my current first choice in branches, but it depends on where I qualify the best. I’m 26 years old this year, and I think my time to make a choice and grow up is coming soon. Thanks for reading this long winded post, any input is welcomed. Thanks again for all your sacrifices!

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

don't enlist
    don't enlist because you like shooting
    if you like shooting don't enlist in the the Air Force
    don't plan on making the military a career without ever serving a day

take a commission with whatever branch on enjoy it

3. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

you will need to go through OTS to come in since you are already out of college. If you want shooting, the AF definitely is not for you. What types of things are you interested in? Maybe if we had an idea of what you are interested in we could give you some better advice :dunno:

4. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

I was looking at SF first, but after reading many posts about that here, I'm going to stay away. I would love a flight career as a navigator, but my vision is not the best, and I feel what I learned in school can be applied to the non technical positions like Cost Analysis or Financial Management, but I would be back doing things I didn't want to do. I'm researching into Space and Missiles and Munitions and Missiles to gain a better understanding of what they are.

5. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

You make a good point, I'm more loss than anything, trying to figure out where my life is going.

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Finally, someone that listens.

Might want to think about being a navigator some more. It's a dying field in aviation in general. You like shooting? Join the Marine Corps. No matter what occupation you pick, you will go to TBS, The Basic School of Infantry, after OCS.

7. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

I think everyone here will agree that the AF have the better QOL, but each brach has its advantages. Very smart on not going SF either. I think you might get bored in a missile silo but you might enjoy the space side of it. IF you want to be in an airplane you should look at the NAV and Air Battle Manager career fields.

I can't really speak on what you should look into for other branches since I am AF myself and have not been in the other services.