A&P Looking For Information On Automobile Camera Mounts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Uthinkso, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Uthinkso

Uthinkso Tattoo Canvas

Pretty much what it says. I am loking to do some video work this summer and wanted to see what equipment I needed.

Thanks In Advance

2. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

3. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

whcih angle you looking to get?

one of my friends built a few mounts that attached to the front of the car whcih gave him a low angle shot from the driver's front corner....

they have mounts for your car window which go over the top of the window and you film outward or inward depending

alot of peoeple i know have also just held a camera out the window with their left hand along side the car and did that too....

4. Uthinkso

Uthinkso Tattoo Canvas

The car that I would be rigging up covers the quarter mile in about 8.2 seconds. So holding my hand out the window is not gonna fly, no pun intended ;)

I have a camcorder and plenty of still cameras, but I was looking to see what equipment is needed and what mounts are typicaly used. The video I am trying to make would look like this.

http://www.leblancfamily.com/rick6/danmillenin-car.wmv

5. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

okay, dont' laugh when i say this, but have you thought about those security cameras? they're tiny, easy to mount (magnet, stick, screw in somewhere) and can transmit to a off car recording source....

other than that, you can try bolting tripod heads to the frame of the car if you can find suitable holes... i just don't know how comfortable you'd be with putting expensive cameras in places

i'm sure they have to make small cameras that have decent resolutions out there that are practical for your application

6. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest

7. redna

redna New Member

8. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

i have a jvc gr-dvm55u miniDV camcorder. my buddy has a 1997 prelude sh. the car has two bolt holes above the rear seats where the hooks used to be for attaching straps for a child safety seat.

we simply found the thread for the bolt holes and ordered 2 bolts. then took a piece of aluminum and drilled two holes in it. on the middle of the bar we mounted a flat plate. at the end of the plate we drilled a hole, and got a camera mounting screw ($5) from a local camera store. Had to bend the plate to get the correct angle, but it works perfectly for seeing the driver, or out the front window...

[​IMG]