Looking for HT receiver or pre-amp/amp recomendations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dsvtec, Feb 11, 2005.

1. dsvtec

dsvtec I have an LS3 AND an amazingly supple and flowing

I have a pair of B&W 804's running in stereo. I have a 13 year old Denon receiver right now, which I want to upgrade from. I know that the 804's are power hungry.
    I demo'd the B&W's on a Sunfire Theatre grand and it sounded good. I was initially thinking of a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver, but they are a little bit out of my budget.
    I was thinking of checking out Rotel.
    One possibility would be to get a pre-amp and one two or three channel amp first, and build up to a full surround piece by piece. I'm thinking that the first step should be in the 3k range. Any suggestions?

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, Outlaw apparantly has a nice pre/pro for only 700 dollars http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/950.html

That would give you 2300 dollars for amplifiers, and you could probably get 5 monoblocks for that price. Outlaw sells monoblock amplifiers as well, and they are 300 dollars each for 200w into 8 ohms or 300w into 4 ohms. I doubt the 804's need more power than that? If more power is needed, you could always get prosound amplifiers, but most of them use balanced inputs, and many have noisy fans that could be a problem.

That's also assuming you would be willing to do online purchases. If not, what brands do your local dealers offer?

3. dsvtec

Cool, thanks. That's definitely a good price. However I'm more for listening to it before I purchase. I'm for SQ mostly, but I do want to do a 5.1 at least.
    Probably the best dealer in this area is Myer Emco. They carry a few different things. I know they have the usual mid range things, Sony (and ES), Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite. I do remember that they had Rotel, Sunfire, Adcom and Macintosh in their listening room. I can't remember what else they carried.
    Edit, their web site used to list all of their brands, but they've pulled that. They also appear to have marantz.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Rotel seems to have some very respectable amps and surround preamps. With a 3K budget you could put together something very nice from them. I've seen a lot of 5.1 setups using Rotel equipment, so that may make sense for you.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

marantz has some cool stuff, except their reference series is out of your range. you could alwyas just get a new beastly denon.

Krell also makes good amp stuff.

6. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Rotel would be a nice choice, or Parasound

7. veonake

I'm not sure Parasound for an amp and preamp is in the 3K range. It could be, but I wasn't under that impression.

8. dsvtec

Thanks, I will check all. Since currently since I only have the front pair of speakers, would it be logical to buy a pre-amp and only a two or three channel amp, or even two mono block amps(That would fit into my current budget of 3k)? Then I could purchase further amps for the surround/center/sub later? (outside of my current 3k budget?)
    Thanks again.

9. veonake

I would say two identical monoblocks paired up with a surround ready preamp would be a great way to go for now. Later on you can add a couple more monoblocks or a 2-channel amp or whatever you want as you said.