looking for home audio setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by antihero, Oct 17, 2002.

1. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

Whatsup fellas. looking for some tips from some audiophiles who arnt too too condescending :)

I am a music nut. I dont especially care about movies or video games. I listen to a LOT of different music, everything from folk, to punk, to techno, to whatever. No stinking rap, but ill still need a little thump for the techno. I often listen to music at excessive volume.

My previous setup involved a hafler 500 powering a set of oldschool infinity quantum line source up front, and a oldschool scott reviever powering some (knockoff) 3 way/12"woofer, big black carpeted speakers. they knockoffs sounded decent up high and down low, but had a horrible missing spot in the midrange. The setup sounded much better with them on just due to the far from optimum soundstaging. source was a turtle beach montego sound card. (generally pretty good for a pc sound card)

The hafler and the infinities are gone :(

I need advice on a system that will sound better. Im prepared to spend no more then 600$ on front speakers, and i havnt really established an amp, rear or sub budget. I liked the hafler rackmount amp, just cause it looked cool as hell, but i cant pay super premiums just for a cool looking rack amp with no features. (i dont want the features of a regular home theatre blah blah, but im not sure im prepared to break the bank to avoid them)

Id like to eventually have a system that sounds better then the old QLS' would have with 4 of them :) But for now its front speakers first, with a temp 100w/ch solid state amp, then new amp (if needbe) then rear speakers, then sub (if needed)

any suggestions on awesome sounding speakers that will sound GREAT and put up with some beating, and cost less then 300$ each? Any source for reasonably priced rackmount amps? Plain ol Amps?

keep in mind i dont want to spend more then i have to, but if my budget is too small to get started, ill wait. I would have been PERFECTLY happy with four QLS' and 2 haffler 500's and thats the level of sound quality/volume im aiming for.

i have no problem with used equipment,old stuff (kinda into vintage gear) or a little legwork (ie replacing parts/tweaks/whatever)

I just want it to sound awesome, last a long time, and look badass.

Im well aware my computer source sucks.

2. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

I am more into the older gear, 'vintage' stuff.

I picked up a McIntosh 250 for $170, and a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s for $200. I had DQ-10s a long time ago and regretted selling them. When I fount this pair I had to have it.

Pre-amp is a PS Audio 5.0 I have had for some time, but I know they can be had fairly cheap and sound very nice.

Sub is a new Jamo 10" powered sub. Nothing incredible but it matches the Dahlquists nicely.

I am just saying all of this because, total, I have about $2k in my current home system. Buying used gear can save a ton of cash, and you can usually get some great deals on good gear.

Don't rule out e-Bay either. I saw a pair of DQ-10s on there recently for about $300...

3. 04

04 Guest

How good are you with woodworking, and do you have a lot of free time? If so, check out www.pispeakers.com the theater 4pis would cost around 600 dollars for the pair for the parts and the cost for you to finish the cabinet. We built a pair for my friend, and they can go extremely loud, but still sound good at low volumes.

4. joyride

joyride Active Member

try to look for used PSB Stratus Bronze speakers. It meets your price range and it sounds great for a broad range of music. As for and audiophile quality amp, I would take a look into used Audio Analogue Puccini integrated or Audio Refinement Complete integrated.

5. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess time to hit ebay. are there any online shops for used high (ok fine, hehe.. almost midrange ;) ) end audio stuff that are reasonably priced?

By the way, what do you guys think of DOGG speakers? Having never heard them, the riceboy in me says they look awesome :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2002
  6. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough