Looking for help v things you should know about me first v2 Im a bariatric patient

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Paulie Walnuts, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Hi guys,

Regardless what you think of me in the OT forum I come here often and mostly lurk but I’m looking for genuine help here but there are some things that you should now.

About me, I am 6'3" 275 pounds. I had gastric bypass surgery years ago and have lost 135 pounds. I am looking to put on muscle mass in my upper body to fill in some loose skin. Yes I have loose skin but its only bad in my stomach (only surgery will fix) and my chest (yes I have man boobs :wtc:)

I try my best to keep my calories below 1200 per day to try and get the weight loss going again to reach my goal weight of 225 so I cannot eat like you guys nor down protein shake after protein shake. Nor can I take any supplements that have caffeine or stimulants like that.

So what would you recommend for exercises that will put on the most muscle in chest, shoulders, back and arms and are there supplements out there that will help me in doing this as well as helping me to recover faster from work outs.

I do cardio 5 days a week also so I am set there.

Thanks for your help.

2. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

you aren't going to build muscle with 1200 calories and 5 days of cardio a week

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

drop the cardio and start lifting weights

4. Paulie Walnuts

Well I certainly think that I can build some or atleast the weight lifting will help me tone up. I guess for now then I need to be concerned with loosing the last 50 pounds and then bulking muscle on.

5. Paulie Walnuts

I cant man, I have 50 pounds left to reach my goal weight. I know Im asking for my cake and to eat it too, but weight loss is more important I guess for now. Ive come too far to stop loosing.

Also, I am lifting 4 days a week right now.

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

building muscle require excess calories so the body has energy to build the muscle with.....so you will build very little if any at all with that low of a caloric intake

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

hey dumbass, lifting burns calories too...

also, it elevates your metablolism for an extended period of time....

8. Paulie Walnuts

Im aware of that no need to get nasty.

9. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

then why cant you drop the cardio?

10. Paulie Walnuts

According to my nutritionist I cannot rely on weight lifting alone to get the last 50 pounds off.

See because I am two years out I can eat about the same as a normal person now. Even though my stomach is small, it empties right away so I can eat a full frozen pizza if I wanted to. They say that after 18 months the natural weight loss from the surgery will disappear then cardio and weight training combo with restricted calories is the only thing that gets off that last poundage.

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

your nutritionist is an idiot....

in your case calories out > calories in......in any way shape or form...

as long as you are burning enough while lifting and not eating to much you will continue to loose wieght

12. Paulie Walnuts

But according to you, no way to build muscle? :wtc:

13. Paulie Walnuts

But honestly, how can anyone loose weight if the average joe takes in 2000 calories a day? There is no way that he will burn more than 2000 in a work out.

14. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

You can build muscle from newb gains. Just follow a normal routine thats listed in the stickes. Its not going to be the best muscle gain because you aren't eating very much, but everybodys body is different so you never know. I would concentrate on compount movements like Barbell Bench, Millitary press, dips, Rows, squats, dead lifts, and lift heavy as fuck and don't have too much volume.

15. Paulie Walnuts

Great thanks for the advice.

16. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

i would incorporate heavy compound movments, cut back on cardio a little and not worry too much about how much calories your are getting in, just focus on quality foods and high protein. train hard, eat right, sleep.

keep away from the mentality that you have to hit a certain number wieght wise. just take your time and do things right, keep it simple and steady, you can't really rush it.

17. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

btw, on a side note, i've been away from this forum for a while , but it really has gone to shit, wtf

some people need to stop posting for a while.

18. Paulie Walnuts

Yeah there are a lot of assholes. People need to realize that how they act in the main forum in terms of assholeness shouldnt apply to the subforums.

19. Basic101

Basic101 New Member

wtf.....yea because your body only uses calories during working out once you stop you dont burn a single calorie.

Eating 1200calories a day is retarded. Eat around 2200cals a day and you will still lose around 2lbs a week.

20. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

Your body burns calories even when you're not active. It takes energy for your body to function so that has to be taken into account when considering calories burned throughout the day. You don't have to burn 2000 calories in a workout. To lose weight, you need to burn more calories through natural body processes and weight lifting/cardio than you consume.

21. Paulie Walnuts

/Hey dickhead, my stomach is the size of an egg, that is all I am supposed to consume.

22. Paulie Walnuts

Christ a 2006 I should have known

23. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

join date is meaningless here mate.

Since you're obese I still thinks its possible for you to put on some muscle mass whilst losing weight. Keep up the cardio and throw in some weights program working your entire body.

24. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

25. lif

lif New Member

Listen... whoever told you that number of 1200 really didn't know what they were talking about. Thats bordeline starvation espeically with doing cardio 5 days a week and you wanting to lift weights.

You WILL NOT gain muscle while in caloric deficiency... even as a noob id say from my experience with myself and friends... you only have 2-3 months of the blessed 'losing fat while gaining muscle' stage... and even then, eating that shitty amount of food will not put muscle on you. You will still lose fat... but i cannot see in any way shape or form that you will gain muscle.

Generally without the aid of anabolic support:

Calories in > Calories out = muscle/fat gain dependant on timing of nutrition and training routine

Calories Out > Calories in = muscle/fat loss dependant on timing of nutrition and training routine.

Being 275 lbs i estimate you to be burning, without doing ANY cardio about 3200-3400 calories, and this is to maintain your weight. Adding in cardio and weights you'll probably reach 4000 or 4200. Lets say 4200.

That means you expend an extra 3000 a day, which is 21000 a week, therefore you should be losing approximately 6 pounds a week... doesn't sound too healthy now does it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.