GUN Looking for help piecing together a good M4/16 style rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jul 12, 2007.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

A while back I had discussed with someone on here the different options for building something like an M4-style rifle. He said you can build a nice high quality gun with different brand pieces on it for a rather low price. He actually sent me some links with receivers that were on sale at RRA and a few other websites. I'm looking at getting one again. Does anyone have any sites they frequent that has higher quality parts for decent prices? Or whole guns for that matter I guess. I think the one we had pieced together came to about ~$700 or so.

2. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Arfcom EE

I just buy the lowers at local gunshows to prevent the shipping mess, then everything else from EE, the dealers on there give some good prices

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'll have to keep my eyes open for some local shows to get a lower. I'm looking for an A2 upper I think which souldn't be difficult to find anywhere. Anyone have brand preferance for upper and/or lower?

5. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Spike's Tactical Stripped Lower $105.00
    RRA parts kit $75.00
    http://spikestactical.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=41_23

CMMG 14.5 M4 upper w/ permanent flash hider $575.00
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=27

Basic M4 6 position stock $65.00
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Stocks-s/49.htm

I'm coming up with around $820.00 for a basic but nice build. CMMG uppers are some of the best and your lowers are all basically the same except for the manufactures stamp. Add a Vltor or Magpul stock and you are still under $1000 and can't buy a nicer shelf rifle for that. Any additional money is usually in the stock, handguard, lights, slings, sights...

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm not looking for anything special for optics right now. I plan on learing to shoot it without any of that before I get into anything else. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

How is Rock River stuff? They have their whole kit that includes everything but a stripped lower receiver for $640. Seems pretty nice...what I'm looking for anyhow.

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

RRA generally has a pretty good rep, but not quite as good as higher end places. it probably is just fine for what you will do with it.

9. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm not a hunter and I have a shotgun for around the house. This gun would be for target shooting and just to have as part of the collection.

I guess I have a newbie question and I'll go do the research on it now because I'm sure it's out there, but is there no rear sight on the A4 upper? Is the idea that it's just ready to accept other sights? If so, what's something good to start with as far as that goes?

10. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Do you have one? I have read nothing but terrible reports about them. But, seems like people only post if they have a problem...

11. the_tinman

the_tinman New Member

m4carbine.net do it once buy the good stuff lmt is the way im going

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Your link posting skills are subpar but the site looks promising.

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I have never heard a single thing bad about them (actually, no, once I read that an upper had been damaged in transit or something, they replaced it for free). I kept reading about how they had great customer service and how even though their barrels are chrome lined, they will out shoot many ss barrels.

My personal experience: Great customer service (answering emails quickly, etc), great shooting, accurate upper (I have a 20" MedCon).

fwiw, I only got my upper from them, the rifle is a RRA LPK/buttstock in a Stag lower with a CMMG upper. I don't think that would change anything, but :dunno:

I plan on going CMMG for my carbine build when I get the money for it as well.