Looking for good hosting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fanatic, Jan 27, 2008.

1. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

The website is primarily for my brother who is a video editor who is looking for a job (needs to host his videos). I'd say speed and reliability are most important. The video files will likely be pretty big (200-300mb) so a decent amount of bandwidth could also be good, but we won't need an outrageous amount.

Any recommendations out there?

Also curious as to how most people register domains, if it's better to do it with the web host or just buy from godaddy or something.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i've got my site hosted with dreamhosts.com. i don't have any major complaints, though my needs are significantly lower than what you are talking about. if you sign up now you get 500Gb of storage and 5Tb of transfers per month.

there was one point where i was having performance and reliability issues. i contacted support and they moved me to a lesser loaded server and haven't had issues since.

3. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

how are the speeds?

4. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

http://www.hostgator.com/

look around for a coupon.

I'm using the Baby plan.
    Disk Space 600gb
    Bandwidth 6,000gb

i've also used 1&1 for a few years with no real issues.

register all my domains with 1&1 to keep it simple.

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I have been using AN Hosting's basic plan for a little over a year and have been happy with it. They are a Midphase company. I just registered my domain through them as I'm not too worried about it.

The basic shared plan:
    500gb storage
    5,000gb bandwidth
    $6.95/month but there are coupons for new customers that aren't too hard to find.

It's a little less stuff than michelin man's host but a little less money as well.

The megaplus shared plan:
    750gb storage
    6,500gb bandwidth
    $9.95/month

The first month I had the service I hosted a few videos and placed links in AfterHours to get an idea of the speed and reliability. My host got raped pretty good and no one complained about dropped downloads/speed or anything. Most of the people who posted their speeds were downloading in the 1mb/s range.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

let me see. i don't really host much there other than pics of my kid. i'm uploading a 200Mb file now from my PC behind a corporate firewall using sftp and getting 300kbps upload. in about 10min i can tell you how fast i can push it to get it back down. :)

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

ok, so uploading i was getting between 250 and 300KB/s. downloading i'm going to try two ways. the first way is using DownThemAll where i'm getting between 1Mb and 1.6Mb per second. on a straight http download i was seeing around 700KB/s.

EDIT: for your reference, i linked to DownThemAll on the Firefox addons site. it is a download accelerator.