Looking for good, cheap sound (subwoofer)...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by float, Jun 15, 2004.

1. float

float New Member

I'm buying the Rockford Fosgate 300S amplifier for 130 including shipping from ebay. I already have my Kenwood Excelon HU installed. Now all I need is my sub/box. I was initially looking at the Infinity Kappa 100.3DVC sub but now I'm leaning towards the Pioneer TS-W255DVC (10") or maybe the 305 (12"). Any suggestions? I really would like to stay cheap(ish) on the subwoofer, I'm not trying to win any competitions or anything I just want clean sounding bass for me in the car. Well?

2. float

float New Member

Would any of you trust a refurbed amp?

3. On_One

On_One Guest

4. On_One

On_One Guest

5. float

float New Member

I think I'm going to get the 301S amp. I haven't heard of any problems with them and I know someone running a very similar system to what I want. I'm just stuck on the sub to get. I don't need an exceptional, competition grade sub because I won't be able to tell the difference. My system just needs to be able to fill in the holes where the bass should be.

6. On_One

On_One Guest

Straight up, what is the absolute max you are willing to spend for a sub and amp.

7. On_One

On_One Guest

Also, unless it is the power line, i would avoid RF amps. Like i said just search ebay to see how many broken punch s series amps are floating around.

8. float

float New Member

I want to get out with a sub, amp and box for under 300. I know it can be done and have good sound.

9. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

That ain't no problem. You're in ATL huh? I have a sub i'll sell you for 125 if you're interested. Elemental designs e12o dual 4ohm with 30 hours or so of use before it was pulled.

Besides that fact for 300 you can get some really good stuff. What i would suggest would be Resonant Engineering 12" SE $150 (www.reaudio.com)

XTANT 301A amp 600RMS @2ohm. Refurbished $137.50

Including shipping you would be just over $300 i guess it's not the best idea but the combo would be really good. COuld downgrade the sub and get a new amp so to speak but if you buy online many don't have a warranty anyway.
    Either build your own box or buy a prefab off ebay. DOn't let people fool you into thinking every prefab is bad. If it's the right airspace and airtight there is nothing wrong with a prefab box, i have never got a bad one before.

10. On_One

On_One Guest

Very nice suggestion. The O series is a very impressive sub and the Xtant is a couple steps above the RF imo.

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

image dynamics idv.3 or idqv.2

aforementioned xtant amp

12. pt

pt New Member

1. How would the RE sub compare to JL Audio ?

2. Where can I get a XTANT 301A amp 600RMS @2ohm. Refurbished $137.50

and would that be better than a Mono Subwoofer Amplifier ??

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  13. denim

denim New Member

check out the RE group buy

14. denim

denim New Member

i have a '97 250aII and a '98 125a2 still running perfect in my truck, sound is clean as the day I bought them

15. GSteg

GSteg Member

I have a 12" Image Dynamics IDQv1 dual 4ohm for $100 shipped :big grin:

its practically brand new. i think i even have the original gasket for it. lol.