WEB looking for an inexpensive / free hosting service

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Dec 31, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm just looking to register a domain name and have hosting for an original xbox modification website.

it will be simple. i have about 50 pictures and i'd like to add captions to them. simple layout, maybe 10 pics on each page. also a page that has links to software. total amount of space needed would be about 200mb. i'm not sure how much transfer i would need. i really would not want to get stuck with a huge bill if that is exceeded

or should i skip the hosting and just have it redirect the domain to some type of blog?
    (i have no idea of any blog sites, i'm out of the loop)

ideas?

2. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

Theres a sticky on the main forum about some guy offering 50% til the 31st on his webhosting called Cirtexhosting. I myself signed up a few days ago and its going good.

3. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

I got this plan for $2.50 a month (if you sign up for 1 year). Domain registration was also half off at $7.50

Host Unlimited Websites!
    » Storage: 10000mb
    » Bandwidth: 250gb
    » cPanel • Fantastico • Site Builder (Install Scripts Intantly and Build your site in few steps!)
    » 30 DAY MONEY BACK + 99.5% Uptime Guarantee + 24/7 Support (AIM/MSN/YIM/ICQ/Helpdesk/Forums)
    » Emails (Webmail+POP3/IMAP+Roundcube) • FTP Accounts • Subdomains • MySQL Databases & much more!
    » PHP 4+5 • MySQL4 • FFMPEG • Ioncube & Zend Optimizer • CGI • GD2 • PERL • ASP • ImageMagic • SSI • Frontpage • ASP • Subversion & More!
    Read More | Order Now

All for just: $4.99 /mo. & Free Setup!
    Instant Account Activation!

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3547127

4. dorkultra

in the past i have been screwed by several hosting companies.

registerfly sold my credit card information and deleted everything 2x without telling me

dreamhost kept my domain hostage unless i paid some fee to renew it, they then sold it to some company before it expired (this is after i canceled with them)

netfirms has 2 of my domains hostage right now. i could get them back, but i'd have to pay $120 or so. also, i had to call them 4 times to cancel my account, because there is no online option to remove autonewal. when i first signed up, it was an awesome deal for about $11 a year, to renew was over $120

5. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

:wtf:

6. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Holy shit, PHP 4+5, AND Zend Optimizer!!!

7. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

ouch, that sucks.
    Ive been with the same host for over 6 years now and never had a problem.
    Im going to try out the sponsored host in the new year because they allow pron and my current host doesnt.

8. andyf

andyf New Member

Please let me know your budget so that i can help you better with our hosting service, we are UK based hosting service provider with 24x7 live chat, Phone and email support also offer you 30 day money back guarantee. Our lowest shared hosting plans starts from 19.99£/year (nearly 40$/year) We offer you cpanel/fantastico with shared hosting so that you can host your blog, forum, wiki's, photo gallery etc easily using fantastico, If you are a noob and don't know who to set them up we will help you for it.

9. dorkultra

thats way more than i need

i might be able to get by with something like godaddy's free service and rapidshare links

10. andyf

andyf New Member

lol...
    Godaddy for hosting.

11. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I've got 5000gigs/month and 300 gigs disk space on my dreamhost account. Buy a domain and I'll stick it on there for u for free.

12. Robb

Robb Guest

in on this, im making out wedding website, we could most likely get by w/ something free as there will be very little traffic, i just want something w/ no ads, are there any options that are truly free?

13. Browning

Browning Active Member

I use a few places but the only "known" place is namecheap. I just got their pro package for $7/month