looking for an inexpensive AGP card that will play smoothly at 1366x768

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 9, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have my pc hooked up to my 40" lcd tv, the picture looks amazing. the input on the tv is vga, no dv
    my pc is an amd athlon 64 3000+ wtih 1gb ram. the mobo doesn't support pci express. it's current video card is an ATI all in wonder 9600 128mb

im having some problems playing video full screen on my tv. it plays it decently, but when action happens, it will chop lines around the action. it's hard to describe. some videos look decent and don't have this problem if they are a lower bit rate. higher bit rate xvids like crank, have this problem.

i downloaded children of men in mkv format, it appears to be hi-def. looks amazing, but plays back at a little lower of a framerate than what i'd like.

i'm guessing i need to step it up to a 256mb card to get smoother output. i put in a 64mb card and i got choppy outuput, so i assume more MBs=smoother output.

i'd like to keep the price of the card under $150

2. Create

Create :free at last:

What card are you using now?

Regardless, nVidia 7x00 AGP 8X GDDR3 top out a AGP 8X slot. Links coming.

Best: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150210
    Good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130274
    May not do what you're asking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150166

The list as a whole: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+106790717+1305520548+4017&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

You can find AGP 8X cards with more memory than the 'best' but you won't find a faster processor/memory interface. Best also includes dual-DVI and svid outs (rather than DVI+VGA+svid for others). I highly recommend the 'best' card.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. dorkultra

my tivo has 2 hdmi inputs, i guess i could use a dvi to hdmi cable [link] if i choose a card with dvi output only

thanks for the links, i'll keep those in mind

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Gigabyte 7600GS. Fanless, silent, $128. Not cheap, per se, but it keeps your AGP system usable for a few more years.

5. dorkultra

would any of these cards be able to mirror the display to my desktop lcd and my hdtv? or would i have to buy a vga splitter?

6. deusexaethera

The one I suggested can do this. I assume the other ones can too, but I can't guarantee it.

7. dorkultra

i'll probably end up buying that one, i wish it was a little cheaper. i got excited when i looked it up on newegg, but then realized that i was looking at a pci-e version, which was like $100

8. deusexaethera

Yeah, the PCI-Ex to AGP converter adds a little to the cost, but you're getting a PCI-Ex video card for your AGP system, so the extra cost is a reasonable tradeoff.

9. Create

You're asking for alot of functionality out of an AGP card that'll be useless when you move to a new box. You may want to consider a PCI TV tuner that'll easily move into your next computer that'll use the pci-e graphics interface.

10. deusexaethera

How's that going to help him get video out to his TV?

11. dorkultra

my ati all in wonder is a tuner card, it doesn't do hi-def, but i don't need it to. i never really used it as a tuner.
    i also have a series 2 tivo. i can tune in hi-def on my tv

all i want is a video card that can play videos (mpegs, xvids, iso, mkv) smoothly at 1366X768. i think the mkv i downloaded is in some crazy high bitrate, like 1080i or something. it won't play on my macbook, it will load, but as soon as action happens, it kinda stalls out. i've been successful at playing 720p and 1080p wmvs downloaded from microsoft.com [link] at decent frame rates on my current card, but they were at 1280x1024

to sum it up, i need videocard that plays videos smoothly on my hidef tv. i could care less about gaming also

12. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

My older Nvidia 5500 128 MB DVI card plays at 720p fine, there's more to it than your video card. The software I was using made a HUGE difference on my setup. You can drop $300 on the hottest video card your setup will run and if the rest of the system or the software is junk it's not going to play smooth.

13. Create

Any Dual-DVI 7600 card should do fine. DVI to HDMI is just a pinout change (no significant signal loss)

14. Create

Forget the TV tuner. No clue why I was confusing encode for decode.

15. dorkultra

well, i tried a few things. my computer has been running slow for a while, so i reimaged it.

that seemed to fix the choppy lines on xvids and mpegs under high action

the children of men mkv plays a little smoother now, it is a 1280 x 696 file.

i found that things were even smoother when i set the display settings to 1024 x 768, instead of 1366 x 768. but it makes everything look fat and not quite as crisp

one more question before i make my purchase, would dvi to hdmi have a significantly better picture compared to vga?
    (i'm guessing i won't be able to notice the difference, but digital is better or something like that)

thanks for all the help

16. Create

If you've got the resolution to display 720p, do with DVI/hdmi. Price diff can't be that big if you can afford the display.

17. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

What are you using to play the videos?? It took me about a week of fidling with mine to get MKV playback to be acceptable. .ts and other files are really smooth.

18. dorkultra

i'm using vlc to play back mkv files . same thing for xvids, isos, video_ts etc

i get the same results with nero showtime, ati's video player, winamp, media player 11, and the assorted codecs within media portal

retorq, what video player are you using for mkvs?

19. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure it's zoom player using the NVidia decoder . . .

20. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Already made a purchase?
    I have this card in a box in my basement:
    http://www2.bfgtech.com/bfgr76512gsoc.aspx BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS OC 512MB AGP
    I will sell it to you for $60.
    If you agree to pay me paypal then I will mail it to you in good faith, you keep it for a week and if it is the solution to your problems you pay me through Paypal. If it isn't the solution (say it has been in storage and no longer works...) you don't pay me but you do ship it back to me.

You would be doing me a favor. I want to put it on ebay but I have had it put away for so long that I really need to power it up before I put it on ebay. I moved to PCI-E a long time ago.... hence powering it up is a problem for me.

21. dorkultra

that seems like a great deal...almost too good to be true. you should put it in yardsale (not sure how many takers you'd get being an 06 with no av though)
    i don't think my power supply could handle that
    i think i'll go with the gigabyte 7600gs 256mb, i'm looking for something silent.

22. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

You still have that card Stilgar? I might be interested so I can get both of my monitors running.