Looking for an ExpressCard SSD that doesn't use USB.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Aug 9, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

...assuming there is one, anyway. I've got a laptop with an SD card slot (needed for other things) and an ExpressCard slot (the narrower of the two kinds), and I want to put, oh, let's say 8-16GB in the ExpressCard slot -- but I don't want it to be just a glorified USB thumbdrive if I can help it. I know I used to get up to 40MB/s transfer speeds with high-end CompactFlash memory plugged into a PCMCIA adaptor card, and it would be nice if I could get the same or better on the ExpressCard SSD I'm looking to buy.

Got any suggestions?

2. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

3. deusexaethera

Aha, yeah, that one says "PCI-E Mode" right on the box. Yep, that's what I was looking for. Kinda big though, don't they go any smaller than 24GB? I'm just gonna use it for pagefile and ReadyBoost duties.

Any idea if that brand is any good?

4. SeeVinceRun

they have some that are 8 or so gigs, but the advertised transfer rates are far lower than that one.

5. deusexaethera

Yeah...you know, it would be nice if I could just put an SATA SSD in that machine and be done with it, but it has a 300GB HDD right now and a 300GB SSD would be far too expensive, if they even make them yet. So I figure at least putting the pagefile on an SSD and having some high-speed ReadyBoost memory handy should compensate for the slow 5400rpm hard drive, but honestly I don't know if it will do much. I know putting the pagefile on an SSD will help a bit, but the ReadyBoost? I dunno.

6. SeeVinceRun

I havent seen anything over a 256gb SSD and like you said, those are so much money its nowhere near worth it.

Readyboost is gay and not mature enough to really make a meaningful difference as of yet unless you're running 512mb ram with 4gb readyboost. Just get more ram

But I have a feeling you knew all of this already...

Good luck with putting the page-file on it, that would do some good. I never mess with my page-file, but have been thinking about it more and more since I have 8gb ram. I may look into it.

7. deusexaethera

On my desktop machine I have a 2GB 300x UDMA CompactFlash card plugged into an IDE adaptor on my motherboard, and I manually installed the Hitachi MicroDrive driver for it so Windows would treat it like a hard drive. Then I put a 1.5GB pagefile on it. I noticed a slight improvement in my machine's performance, but mostly the RAID thrashes less.

I guess with a bigger card, I can have my brother use part of it for a pagefile, part of it for ReadyBoost, and part of it for storing shit.